How To Decide On The Right College

What I Wish I Knew When Deciding Where To Attend College

Most high school students have never had to make a decision like this before.

93

College decisions days are just around the corner. Across the country, millions of kids are deciding where they will spend their next four years. To many, it can be the most stressful time in their lives.

There are many emotions revolving around the decision about where to attend college. There's a weight on your shoulders to make your loved ones proud. However, you also want to go somewhere that will make you happy too.

Having gone through this process almost three years ago, there are times that I look back and wish I knew how everything would turn out. The college decision stressed me out so much, in the end, I almost ended up just picking a college to get it over with.

Every person I had talked to, told me I would get a feeling when I stepped on the campus that I would call home. So every college that I visited I would wait for this feeling that would tell me this was the right place to be. I visited a dozen colleges, but never got that feeling.

I have come to the conclusion that this special feeling doesn't really exist. You have to use outside factors that will then help you to make the right decision. It helped me, and I chose a school that I absolutely loved.

Try to think about your academic future, but also your social one as well. Does this school have extracurriculars you're interested in? Is it close to a fun weekend spot or have anything to do off campus or even fun things to do on campus on the weekends?

Another thing I wish I had known was to try and not to live up to anyone's expectations. I was making a decision on what would make me truly happy, I shouldn't have to think about others. If something feels right to you, go with it.

Yes, this is one of the most difficult decisions you will have to make, but if you take a step back and think about yourself and what you want, it will be easy. College is a fun time, but also academically challenging. Choose a place that fits your needs best, you know best.