How To Create Your Own Life Musical

How To Create Your Own Life Musical

A complete list of what you need to make your life a smash hit

6
How To Create Your Own Life Musical
XFDR Magazine

There is a communication theory about life that goes a little something like this: We, as humans, are natural story telling beings. This theory says that as story telling beings, our whole lives are one big dramatic story, one big play, in which we are the actors. Everything we say and everything we do is just a part of the big story that we call life. And it's different for everyone.

My life is a musical. It's got a lot of actors, a lot of important extras, and a lot of characters listed in the program as lady #1 and that girl 7. But that doesn't make them less important. Sure this sounds a little self involved, but it has become important to me that the world know how I see my life. It has become immediately pertinent that people see what I see when I carry out every day of my musically involved life.

I have recently began watching the CW show, "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend," and it gave me a wonderful idea, what if I provide a guide of how to create your own LIFE MUSICAL! I know what you're thinking...GREAT IDEA, MEGAN!

No? No one is thinking that? Just me? Oh well...um. Anyway. There are five fool proof ways to turn your regular old life into a musical. Below, I have provided a list of things you need to create the PERFECT life musical; this list will help you take a normal day and make it something full of glitter that is worthy of the stage.

1. A super incredible Imagination!

Don't leave home without it. For this to really work, you must have the capacity to come up with elaborate dance breaks and creative dialogue on the spot. If this isn't something you can do, then maybe this isn't the creative lifestyle for you.

If this sounds like you, though, listen carefully! It has become clear to me that the other people cast in your show have not exactly been informed it's all about you. They haven't been given a script and they don't really even know they're actors. So in this situation, we must be prepared to improvise. Sometimes, improvisation makes for the funniest and most dramatic scenes. So, just go with it. Don't blame the uninformed, it's not their fault.

2. The knowledge that rehearsing your scenes out loud does not make you crazy!

They say that "talking to yourself" makes people think you are crazy and "answering yourself" confirms this. But my thoughts are that if you are rehearsing both sides of the dialogue, then that just makes you extra good. So when someone accuses you of talking to yourself, just make sure they know you're rehearsing, and everything will be fine.

Another time that "talking to yourself" is okay? During a monologue, of course! To monologue is to make sure your audience knows what is happening internally, which is crucial for your sanity and the plot line of your show...never forget it.

3. A STOCKED iPod and the ability to choreograph on the spot!

This is very important. Make sure your iPod has every 90's movie soundtrack ever, as well as songs from every other genre out there. This is how you will put together your soundtrack. You have to make sure you have a song on your iPod for every situation. Happiness, sadness, confidence, whatever it might be, there has to be a song for it. Then you sing the song, while dancing or acting like you're in a music video. I find the music video tactic most helpful.

If you are in the market for inspiration to create your own original song for your soundtrack, please reference any episode of the CW's "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend."

4. A killer wardrobe and accessories that make you who you are!

For me, this is bows. You are the star, every star subject has a signature thing. Like my big bows, your signature thing has to be something you identify with. My bows signify my tendency to have childlike wonder and to be very childish sometimes. Maybe your thing is dresses. Maybe your thing is coffee, maybe you always have Starbucks in your hand. Whatever it is, make sure it becomes a part of who you are and it will easily become part of your show.

5. A plot that changes EVERYDAY!

This is the most important thing. To be a sensation, you must resolve a plot every single day. This is actually a very neat form of motivation. To start a day with the goal of resolving a plot is a very good way to set you on a good path. Wake up and tell yourself "I am going to be the hero today," and you will be!

Maybe you're not the kind of person who has time to make an entire plot unfold every day. You can take your plots week by week or even month by month. Just remember, you have a lifetime to stretch this show out, you better have enough material to fill that slot!

Okay! You officially have everything you need to succeed. Of course, you can modify any item on this list to fit your show. As long as you stick to the basic theme or idea, your show is guaranteed to run for a long time.

If you are interested in seeing where I get my inspiration, season one of "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" is on Netflix and available on the CW app. You can catch season two on the CW, Fridays at 9 p.m.