How To Have The Ultimate 'Friendsgiving'
Thanksgiving

9 Reasons To Gather Your Closest Friends Together For Friendsgiving

Friendsgiving is an awesome alternate because you're surrounded by people you have made to be your family.

94
People eating foot together

November is here! The weather is getting colder and colder, leaves are covering the ground, Black Friday deals are being announced, and people are already picking out what they will need for their annual Thanksgiving meal!

But, maybe you're a little sick of nosey aunts and uncles questioning when you're getting a boyfriend or girlfriend? Or maybe you're pretty done with sitting at the "kids table" when you're literally an adult? Or maybe you're unable to make it home due to time or money? Or maybe your relationship with your family isn't the best? There are plenty of reasons why Thanksgiving isn't the best holiday for you, but there's always the wonderful option of Friendsgiving waiting for you to just get the party started.

What is Friendsgiving? It's Thanksgiving but with friends! After you decide you're hosting one, everyone brings their favorite Thanksgiving side like some banging mashed potatoes or stuffing. Play games, chat and have a great time with some of your closest friends. And whether you want to do Friendsgiving instead of Thanksgiving or in addition of, here's why you should throw a Friendsgiving at your house.

1. Not everyone is close with their family

While Thanksgiving is a family orientated holiday, not everyone has the best relationship with theirs. Instead of feeling pressured to go home or simply upset to be there in the first place, Friendsgiving is an awesome alternate because you're surrounded by people you have made to be your family. If being around family is a stressful nightmare during the holidays, at least Friendsgiving is a nice break away from all of that stress.

2. The date is interchangeable

Do you want Friendsgiving instead of Thanksgiving? Go for it! You want it a week before? Even better. On a Friday or Saturday instead? Whatever works for you! Friendsgiving is so interchangeable that it doesn't have to be the typical "Turkey dinner at 3 p.m. on a certain Thursday in November." You can do it instead of Thanksgiving, or like most, plan it a week before or after. You can plan it whenever you want!

3. Not everyone is off of work on Thanksgiving

Whether it's because corporate simply just doesn't close, or your job has some major Black Friday sales going on, not everyone has the ability to enjoy Thanksgiving to the fullest. They miss dinner, lose time with loved ones, and only get stinkin' leftovers. Friendsgiving is a great alternative to sit down and have a wonderful homecooked meal and not just the leftovers of what they missed.

4. Leftovers!

Leftovers for days! Whether you decide to only have Friendsgiving or do Thanksgiving too, you're gonna be set on lunch for a while.

5. You'll save some money

If you're unable to travel for the holidays, Friendsgiving is here to substitute that need to be around loved ones and enjoy a huge meal. Don't force yourself to spend hundreds of dollars you don't have to go home when you can gather your friends together and have the same experience. You can save time, money, and a lot of hassle.

6. Judgement-free zone

If your friends are as amazing as they should be, this is a judgment-free zone. No one is asking when you'll have a boyfriend or girlfriend soon, commenting on your weight, grades, sexuality, or whatever else. Your friends are your friends and they know what to talk about openly and what to avoid altogether.

7. Food choice won't be the usual

Not everyone spends Thanksgiving in the same way. While my house is full of turkey, my friend actually does ham as their main entree, and my other friend is a vegetarian so there's no meat in her house at all. Everyone comes from a different background and what they bring to Friendsgiving may not be part of the typical Thanksgiving meal. Instead of turkey and potatoes, try what your friends cooked up too!

8. Unfiltered table talk

When we go home to our families, a lot of the time our conversations are limited. Whether it's because you curse a lot, or your topics won't interest your parents or any memes or videos you find funny won't be funny after dinner, it can really narrow down the topics you can bring up. With your group of friends, however, pretty much any table talk goes. Curse all you want, talk about how terrible your last hook up was, and talk about anything that you couldn't in front of your parents. You're unlimited!

9. Bring your friends together

Last but surely not least, just as Thanksgiving is a holiday to bring your family together, Friendsgiving is to bring your friends together. Even if your new college friends haven' met your besties from your hometown or you don't know someone perfectly, Friendsgiving is a great way to get to know your friends better. Bring food, play games, chat up a storm, and enjoy each other's company.

So, make sure you gather your closest friends, cook some food, gather the board games, and have a great time this November!