13 Things You Need To Become A Runner

13 Things You Need To Become A Runner, Whether Your Goal Is A 5K Or A Marathon

Anyone can run, but the right equipment will make it a little easier.

1110

As the weather is officially "nice out" again, individuals are taking to the sidewalks, parks, and trails to get in a run. While many runners continue with their favorite form of exercise year-round, those just starting out may prefer to set themself up for success with sunshine and a cool breeze.

As most of America is currently quarantined in their homes, escaping only for a walk or jog around their neighborhood, we're seeing an influx of new runners. When you're only allowed so many government-sanctioned activities, it makes sense to take advantage of them! Whatever the reason you're becoming a runner, there are some tools that will help your running journey be comfortable, healthy, and still sweaty.

1. Running shoes

Amazon

First things first, you need a pair of shoes that can keep up with your newfound hobby. Rumor on the street is that the more neon on the shoe, the faster the runner. IDK, sounds pretty legit.

2. Comfortable socks

Amazon

You can't always rely on thin ankle socks to keep your feet happy during a run. Instead, get some thicker, breathable socks to keep you content for miles.

3. Armband

Amazon

This water-resistant, lightweight armband will not only carry your phone, but it has a storage pocket for a couple of cards, and your keys.

4. Wireless headphones

Amazon

To avoid swatting your headphone cords out of your way every two minutes, wireless headphones are a NEED.

5. Running belt (with water bottles)

Amazon

Having a water bottle on you can make or break your run, especially if it's a longer one. A running belt takes the same concept of an armband and adds small, easy to reach water bottles! This way you can stay hydrated without lugging around that huge Hydro Flask.

6. Non-slip headband

Amazon

Nothing kills a run's vibe like hair in your face. Invest in a non-slip headband and keep your hair exactly where you want it.

7. A light, water-resistant jacket

Amazon

You need to be able to stay dry on that inevitably raining day your run will face. It's ok, they make jackets for this occasion!

8. Running watch

Amazon

You want to track all of this new exercise! A running watch not only tells you how many steps you've taken in a day, but it can track your calories, heart rate, and connect to your phone.

9. Sunglasses

Amazon

As much as I love my aviators, they do not stay on my face while I'm running. Getting a pair of sturdy, athletic sunglasses will change the game when you're running on an extra bright day.

10. Sunscreen

Amazon

Even though you're not laying out on a beach towel, you'll still be getting extra sun exposure when you run outside. Protect your skin and put on sunscreen — you won't regret it.

11. Foam roller

Amazon

Sometimes stretching after your run just isn't enough. Foam rolling your muscles is the ultimate luxury when you're facing a knotted hamstring.

12. Calf compression sleeves

Amazon

If you are a part of the population who suffers from shin splints, you know just how painful they can be. Thankfully, compression sleeves exist and help ease that pain.

13. Ice pack

Amazon

An ice bath sounds a little intense, but a nice ice pack on some stiff muscles? Sweet relief.