How To Be In Love For 61 Years
Family Friends

How To Be In Love For 61 Years

My grandparents have been married for sixty-one years, and I asked them what the secret was.

570
How To Be In Love For 61 Years

According to the American Psychological Association, 40-50 percent of marriages end in divorce. I understand that "things happen," but how can 40-50 percent of couples tell their spouse "Until death do us part" on their wedding day, and then change their mind? Two people that have beaten the odds are near and dear to my heart: my grandparents. They have been married for sixty-one years and I wanted to know the secret. Their responses to my questions were amazing and I wanted to share them with you all.

I first asked them how they met. They were high school sweethearts! My grandparents have known each other since freshman year of high school. My grandma said they were good friends for a couple years, and even dated other people. One day, they decided they should date and the rest is history. So technically they have been together for sixty-five years and married sixty-one.

I also asked them what is the hardest part about being married and how they overcome it. My grandma said the hardest part about being married is not a big event, but the everyday. "Everyday is a challenge in itself, but you just have to keep working at it" she says. My grandpa thought there wasn't a hard part about being married, he just takes care of his wife and family everyday so everyone can have a "good life." Their advice for younger generations ties into their "challenges." They both told me that the best thing you can do is to keep working through whatever comes your way and not to give up. "Disputes are going to happen, but just work it out. It takes two to tango," my grandpa says.

The last thing I asked my grandparents was what their favorite thing about each other is. My grandma said my grandpa is a "hard-worker" and is "good-hearted." My grandpa said he couldn't pick just one thing. "Grandma is a wonderful wonderful lady that takes care of me and looks after me" he said.

This interview not only warmed my heart, but made me think about my own life. I'm not saying everyone needs to marry someone from their high school, or you won't be successful if you get a divorce, but my grandparents have a point about "working it out." Whether you are single or in a relationship, I challenge you to "work things out" in your relationships. It is so easy to give up on the people in our lives when something doesn't go our way. But if you keep working on it and not be afraid of the challenges, I think all of our relationships in our lives could blossom.

Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa for being an inspiration to me.