How To Be Gentle With Yourself

How To Be Gentle With Yourself

Have you loved you today?

634
How To Be Gentle With Yourself
Well Doing
"Be softer with you, you are a beautiful thing, a memory to someone, a home to a life."
-Nayyriah Waheed

The world offers us so much to learn about itself and about ourselves, and we should be eager to learn it all. The earth and I want you to know how special you are, how essential you are to what goes on here on a day to day basis. You and your life are what you have. It is your responsibility to let yourself grow, flourish and blossom, and that begins with being a gentle caretaker of yourself. It is rare in this world for us to be content with our individuals selves, but this is perhaps the most important key to happiness. I have discovered through my own growth some ways to be more gentle that have allowed me to see all of the many ways that I shine.

Set goals

There are many different ways to set goals, and different methods may work for different people. I have found that setting specific, long and short term goals in different aspects of my life has given me something to focus on, while also adding an element of challenge to my life. These goals can be simple, such as: I want to be able to run for 20 minutes without stopping. I want to compliment someone in each of my classes. I want to earn at least a B+ on this Spanish exam. Or your goals may be more complex: I want to start a club that supports something I am passionate about, or I want to be able to define myself as a truly happy person by the end of this year. Setting goals creates a wonderful sense of self-accomplishment. The trick is not to take these goals too seriously and to acknowledge that some may take time and most importantly, that the end is worth the means.

Be aware

Being aware of yourself and the things that make you happy is the easiest way to be gentle with yourself. Listen to your own mind, open your ears to yourself. What makes you happy? Sunshine or rain? Movies or books? Coffee or tea? Make mental notes to yourself about how specific elements of your day have affected your mood. Integrate more of the actions that gave you positive vibes and attempt to avoid those that create negativity. Before you can foster a more beautiful self-image, you must be willing to learn about who you are.

Define an ideal day

Like goals, each and every one of us has a different "ideal day." Write it down. Wake up in the morning and write down what you want your day to look like. This may develop in the form of a "To-do" list or a journal entry. Write it all, do not leave out the simple things. Remember to include a few of those things that stimulate your happiness. By following the plan of your ideal day, not only will you have a great day for yourself but you will end the day feeling accomplished.

Take some quiet time

Gentleness goes hand-in-hand with stillness. Give yourself some quiet time every day to focus on your own personal needs and soak yourself in. This is an optimal environment for reflection on how your day has gone so far and how you hope the rest of it will go. Just be still and patient and relax with yourself.

Treat yourself

Life is beautiful but life can be hard. Be kind to yourself by treating yourself to something special each day. Although for me it may be a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, for some it may come in the form of an episode of your favorite show, a walk in the park, a pumpkin spice latte, a trip to the bookstore, a t-shirt that you have been wanting, a Pinterest binge, doodling in a notebook or chatting with friends. Just be sure to treat yourself to something each day because you deserve it.

Talk to someone who loves you

Sometimes the people who love us, know us better than we know ourselves. While on this journey to gentleness, it is important to incorporate kind words from a parent, high school best friend, boyfriend or girlfriend or grandparent into your day. Anyone who loves you is sure to know just what you need at any given moment. It may be a good chuckle or a shoulder to cry on, these people are ready to be whatever you need them to be. Set up a coffee date or give them a call in between class and work. It is also important to spread love as someone who is learning to love themselves more deeply.

You are an awesome, spectacular and wonderful human-being package topped with a bow and you deserve to see yourself this way. Just remember that a human-being package is accompanied with a "fragile contents" sticker slapped on the side and that you need to be delicate with yourself. Take your time, listen, learn and be amazed by all of the things you have to give to this world.