How To Be Festive During Finals

How To Be Festive During Finals

It's not easy being festive when finals are all you can think about.

63
How To Be Festive During Finals

It's December and all around it feels like the holidays; everywhere but on college campuses. December for college students is a time of stress and nightmares as we prepare for finals and we figure out how to pull C's up to A's all in a matter of three weeks. The fact that finals end 5 days before Christmas lessens the time college students have to feel festive and celebrate the holiday season. Before we know it, it's over! Everyone else gets a whole month of Christmas cheer but college students get a few weeks/days so here is a list to help you feel more festive during finals season.

1. Decorate your Dorm.

Nothing makes you feel more Christmassy then hanging up some fairy lights and some ornaments around your house which in college is your dorm or apartment. Buy a small Christmas tree (we got ours at five below!), hang up some stockings and make your room a Christmas wonderland; that way while studying in your space you can feel more festive and studious all at once. It's easy and can even be done on a budget. Tip: Buy an Advent Calendar so you can count down the days till Christmas and get a piece of candy each day!

2. Drink Hot Cocoa.

Nothing beats a cup of your favorite hot chocolate, Christmas flavored coffee or tea on a cold, dreary day, especially when you are stressing about finals. Add your favorite hot drink to your list of supplies needed to bunker down in the library, lounge or dorm room to study for hours on end. A warm drink warms the heart and will infuse a little happiness into your study sessions.

3. Listen to Christmas Music.

Trade in your normal study playlist for a holiday one while studying to get you in the Christmas mood. Whether you like the traditional songs or some of the newer covers their is a playlist out there for everyone and they will hopefully make studying a little more festive and get you in the Christmas spirit as much as possible. Spotify has tons of great Christmas playlists with a variety of songs so you can find one to fit your taste.

4. Watch Christmas Movies.

One of the most important things to do while you're hardcore studying is to take a break. Your mind can only work so much and take in so much information at once so take a break, gather your roommates and watch Christmas movies! Everyone has a favorite (mine is Elf or Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol). Whether you're more "old school" and like Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer or "contemporary" and like Home Alone there are a variety of movies out there and they're bound to be on TV everyday till Christmas.

5. Plan a Secret Santa.

For those who like a good surprise, round up your roommates, close friends, your floor-mates or your neighbors and set up a Secret Santa. It's fun, easy and can work with almost any budget. Have each person pick a name out of a hat, set a price limit and a date to exchange gifts and you're ready to go! It's a lot fun and takes the pressure out of getting everyone an expensive gift especially as broke, stressed out college students. Just don't let anyone ruin the secret aspect or it won't be as fun when it comes to the reveal. Tip: It's always more fun to ban gift-cards or cash so everyone has to think of a clever/funny gift.