6 Tips For Becoming The Ideal Job Candidate

What 21st century employers are looking for.

131

During my fall semester, I had the opportunity to research what an ideal job candidate looks like in the 21st century, with four other students in the Rutgers University-Camden Leadership Institute. Applying for jobs, building resumes, and tackling interviews can be a hectic and stressful process.

Understanding what employers are looking for in potential employees can help you gain confidence when applying for jobs out of college. Here are some tips from our research that can help you become an ideal job candidate in the 21st century.

1. Competency over intelligence

Of course, it’s important to be smart. But employers are really looking for people who are competent. Your ability to attend work, be prepared, and complete tasks efficiently is more valuable than being super intelligent but not being able to deliver things on time.

2. Adaptability is a necessity

New technology is introduced to the workforce daily. Adaptability is no longer an accessory, but a necessity for a market that is ever-changing and ever-growing. You can be the best person within your department, but if you don’t have the ability to adapt to the changes that are required to keep up with competitors, you aren’t as valuable as you think.

3. Experience stretches beyond "work"

This one relates more to high school and college kids more than anything. One of the most frustrating things that you can be told is that you don’t have enough experience when you haven’t had the chance to gain any because you’re always under experienced. All you want is someone to give you a chance to prove that you’re capable of the position.

Employers will take any experience that you have to offer that is relevant to the position, and it doesn’t have to be a paid job in order for it to mean something. Dip your feet into the water any chance that you get, whether that means volunteering for your community or applying for unpaid internships. Every little bit of experience counts. You have to start somewhere.

4. Do you work well with other people?

It may be easier to talk to people online than it is to talk to people in person, but unfortunately, if you are unable to communicate with your co-workers and customers, you’re not very valuable to the company. It doesn’t matter how qualified you are as an employee. Your degree can't overshadow your lack of interpersonal skills.

If you’re someone who has bad social anxiety or gets nervous talking in front of people, the only way to get over it is to force yourself outside of your comfort zone. The more you practice, the more comfortable you’ll get, and the less dreadful it will appear. Don’t allow it to hold you back.

5. Be a leader

Your manager should not be the only person who leads the team to accomplish the company goals each month. Employers are looking for leadership qualities more than ever. They want people who have the ability to influence others and work well with a group of people in order to get the job done. Your manager does not want to be the only person in the store that makes sure the tasks get accomplished. Trust me.

6. Looks ARE everything

Don’t show up to your job interview wearing your favorite Coachella shirt from 2015. Make sure that you look presentable. Of course, you don’t have to wear your prom gown from junior year of high school or stilettos, but wearing a nice shirt and dress pants is always appreciated.

Research assistance by: Austin Ginsberg, Sean Goldman, Ashleigh Harris, and Daniel Yanberg