The Journey Of A Writer

The Journey Of A Writer

How poetry helped regain my confidence in writing.

1232
The Journey Of A Writer
Unsplash.com

This is a response to The Journal Entry

Being a writer has its perks, but it also has its downfalls. As writers, we are our own biggest critics.

In this modern day, sometimes it becomes too much to be able to write. Yes, it is something we want to do - but we just cannot find the time.

Personally, writing took a backseat for me in 2018 when my grandfather passed away.

This happened during the first year the of my English & Creative Writing degree. This turned my world upside down and I no longer felt connected to my written work. I continued with my degree and passed - but the passion was not there.

My grandfather was one of the biggest supporters of my writing, so losing him was such a challenge. I did write, but the passion I held seemed to fade. The flare I had for my degree wasn't really there anymore.

But during this time, I remember we had one lecture and a new passion was unlocked. That passion being poetry.

Sure, I'd written poetry before but I never really took it too seriously. But I still remember that 2018 lecture as though it was yesterday. Free verse poetry was introduced to me and it was the poetry for me.

Poetry helped me during a time where I couldn't really help myself. It enabled me to express my emotions when I otherwise wouldn't have been able to.

As a creative writing student, there was a constant desire in the back of my mind to please others. So, I wasn't necessarily writing for myself. Even if I was, I'd always worry about what others would think. I wrote short stories I thought others would enjoy - I forced myself into this pattern of longing to please those around me. Yes, it was a degree and I was earning it but I didn't really write that much for myself and I really took criticism to heart during that first year.

Poetry helped me break free from this mindset. It helped me truly write things for myself. It helped me to open up and express myself.

Poetry opened avenues I never knew existed.

Poetry has opened doors for me as a creative mind. Instead of a journal that I once had, I now write poetry. This poetry helps channel my feelings.

When it comes to criticism, I welcome it.

I have also got back into writing short stories. Not as much as I write poetry, but I write for myself and no one else. As a writer - that is what is most important.

You must write for yourself first. And if others enjoy your work, that's an extra bonus.

Writing is a force for good in my books. It is something that enables me to express my feelings when I otherwise wouldn't be able to.

I never used to share my stories. But I happily share my poetry and have even had my work published by small publishers.

So, never give up. Time is a healer and trust the process as a writer. Things will work themselves out.