How To Amp Up Your Thrifting Game
Beauty Fashion

How To Amp Up Your Thrifting Game

Consider this Thrifting 101.

174
https://burst.shopify.com/photos/vintage-shopping
https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-woman-near-clothes-374677/

If you're a big thrifting fan like me, you know that you don't always have to go to the mall to get a cute new sweater or a belt to match your outfit. However, while basically anyone can thrift, there are definitely some tips and tricks to step up your thrift game and help you score some great finds, as well as other things you should definitely know.

1. Goodwill doesn't wash their clothes.

While Goodwill is definitely one of the biggest thrift stores out there, they don't wash their clothes before putting them out on the floor (but people who donate are encouraged to wash all their donations before dropping them off). Don't let this discourage you though-- I've found some really great things at Goodwill. Just remember to wash everything you get there before you wear it!

2. Find out when stores put out new items.

This is literally as easy as calling and asking, or asking a staff member while you're at the store. This way, you'll know when there's more variety to choose from.

3. Don't be afraid to branch out into different categories.

Me and all of my friends who thrift can tell you that some of the best (and coziest) sweaters can be found in the men's section, and besides, clothes are for everybody, and don't have a gender.

4. Be mindful of the season.

If you want winter clothes, go when everyone is getting rid of their old jackets and sweaters. If you want a sundress of a pair of shorts, go when summer is beginning or over and people are purging their closets.

5. If something is damaged, make sure you can repair it (or know someone else who can).

There's no point in getting a pair of jeans that are ripped off the seam or a shirt with multiple moth holes no matter how cute they are unless they're mendable.

6. Know that the older the clothing item, the more "off" the sizes may be.

Older items of clothing can run anywhere from 2 to 6 sizes smaller.

7. Don't buy swimsuits or undergarments.

Just don't.

8. Learn when your local thrift shop has deals and sales.

That way, you'll know when is the best time to go in price wise-- but remember that doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a good variety.

9. Don't get something just because it's "unique".

Sure, you might see something that catches your eye, but don't just get something because it's unique and cheap. If you don't really like something, or if you know that you'll never wear it, don't get it.

10. Don't give up.

If you don't find something amazing the first time you go thrifting, don't worry! When you go thrifting you won't always find a standout piece every single time. Keep going, and branch out to different thrift stores, and you'll be sure to find the thrifted piece of your dreams.