You're Telling Everybody To Be 'Responsible' But How About You Start With You?

Are you responsible enough to admit when you’re wrong?
Livia
Livia

The year is 2017. No one wants to admit they’re wrong, but they want to rant on social media the first chance they get to bash someone else. Have you noticed it is difficult to get into a disagreement with anyone in this day in age and have a solution come out of it? I truly believe the root of the problem comes down to responsibility.

Responsibility. When you are young, everyone preaches it, yet at some point into the adolescent/adult years, people think it doesn’t apply to them. Well, news flash!! Practice what you preach people.

Being responsible, in any aspect, first comes down to looking in the mirror and being real with yourself. Guess what... you might actually be wrong sometimes! This is the first problem I think us millennials have. We don’t want to admit we are wrong. I don’t know if it is a status issue, people are embarrassed, or they are just that headstrong, it is a common trait that we do not want to admit when we mess up or are in the wrong. Just say it! “I messed up". It is completely normal and human, plus those around you will respect you more.

Next order of business after some self-reflecting comes working on the issue. When you hold yourself accountable and responsible for your actions it should be all the time, not just when it is convenient for you or someone is watching. Commit to bettering yourself and if you realize you are one of those people who can never be wrong, work on it! It’s okay, no one is perfect and humans are always a work in progress. Make a conscious effort to hold yourself responsible and the people around you in school, your work and even friend group will be more than thankful.

There are two sides to every story. And if you are the person never admitting you’re wrong, well maybe that’s why you aren’t seeing the other side to the story. People are quick to judge, point fingers, and assume. What if, for every time two people got into an argument, they did the responsible thing and took a step back and walked in the other person’s shoes? What a concept, am I right?!

Now 2018 is almost upon us. Instead of having an unrealistic New Year’s Resolution, this year, regardless your age, I challenge you to be a more responsible citizen.