How To Actually Be Successful

How To Actually Be Successful

Not told by fellow Facebook posts.

11
How To Actually Be Successful

As my sophomore year of college comes to a close, I can't help but worry that I haven't been as successful as I sought out to be this year. As I scroll through all of the Facebook posts from past high school friends, they all appear to be boasting about studying abroad, 4.0s, volunteer trips, overcoming hardships and obstacles, internships and amazing experiences. I did not have any of that happen this year, as I had to glue my butt to a chair and spend countless hours mastering physics and organic chemistry as a pre-med student. There was no way I was successful like my fellow high school classmates — I studied the walls of my dorm more than I did the cultures of the world. I can't help but think, because my time was mostly spent studying, that my year was not that successful and I would be considered a failure by most. Blah. However, does studying abroad, volunteering and overcoming small failures really equal a success story? Couldn't my passing grades for my difficult, unrelated to my major, classes be considered success? When I reflect back on my life in a few years, I want to be able to say with confidence that my college experience made me into the successful person I came to be some day. So what does it actually mean to be successful? Is it how much money we make, how many pounds we shed, how many friends we have or how happy we are that determines our success? From my research online and my own thinking, the following 10 ways below are ways to actually be successful. From this list, I guess my sophomore year was a little bit more successful than I thought.

1. If you failed this year at all, and you took responsibility for those actions, then you were successful.

One of the hardest things in the world to do is to admit when you are wrong. I have made so many mistakes this year — several of them involved not doing so hot on tests and not studying as hard as I could have — but I always tried to improve from them by observing what I could have done better. I tried my best to not put the blame of these failures on my professors or other stressors, and took ownership for them myself. Instead of claiming that the teacher was difficult and that the class was ridiculous, I decided to study harder and change up my strategy by learning from my failures. Learning from failures is a success in itself, and can lead to greater successes in the long run.

2. If you complimented a person more than you gossiped about them, then you were successful.

This is something I have to work on as I tend to get very anxious about receiving and giving compliments. I think it has to do with the fact that I prefer to keep quiet and to myself, and hate sharing any of my thoughts. But if any of you have randomly complimented a person on their shoes, hair, shirt or personality, then you've been a successful person! Not only did you lift the spirits of another person, you also lifted your spirits and most likely several others' as you started a compliment chain reaction. Also, expunging the negative thoughts swimming in your brain by giving positive compliments allows you to become more successful as well.

3. If you kept a to-do list and stuck to it, then you were successful.

This is one I know and love very much. I don't think I could ever get anything done without writing it down ensuring I remembered that it was on my to-do list for today. Plus, my favorite feeling in the world is being able to cross off things once I have completed them. Chances are, if you made a list every day, then you got more done than you normally would have, making you more successful.

4. If you embraced any changes that came into your life, then you were successful.

I also need to work on this one, as I tend to also get very anxious and upset anytime there is change occurring in my life. But if any of you have faced changes recently in your life involving your loved ones, significant others, career aspirations, home life, school, personality or experiences, then you have been a successful person this year if you embraced them and accepted them.

5. If you learned something new every day, then you were successful.

As most of us are in some sort of education process, be it high school, college or job training, we all should be able to reach this goal easily almost every day. Every single lecture I attended this year introduced me to new and various concepts I would not have been able to learn on my own. I also gained a lot of information from the numerous books I read, as well. Learning is one of my favorite things to do, and if it is yours as well, then you were more than likely very successful this year.

6. If you shared any information that you had learned, then you were a successful person.

Learning information is fantastic, however sharing the information you learned to help others be successful is even better. Successful people don't hold onto information so others are below them — they want others to rise up with them too by sharing their knowledge. I love sharing anything new that I learn with my friends and family — even if they call me a nerd for knowing what they deem as useless information. I also share as much information as I can to those who are struggling in some of the classes we share together. Anything I can do to help others learn in order to rise together and succeed is one of my favorite ways to be successful.

7. If you beat procrastination at some point this year, then you were successful.

Procrastination can get the best of us, especially when we are so busy with our activities, friends and finding time to sleep! I would be lying if I said I never caved to procrastination and wrote a paper only a few hours before it was due. However, those of you who do your work early, plan ahead and get everything done before or on time, then you have definitely had a very successful year.

8. If you didn't compared yourself to others to do better, then you were successful.

As humans, we basically compare ourselves to others every single day — from who we believe is prettier, smarter, funnier and kinder. When we compare ourselves to who we were yesterday in order to better ourselves, then we can become more successful as we become stronger and improved versions of ourselves. We never want to compare to others, especially out of envy, or to feel better about ourselves, because no success will ever stem from that. Congratulate others for their success and share their joy in them — don't use their success as a challenge, but challenge your old self to be the better version of you.

9. If you spent the majority of your days reading , then you were successful.

Reading not only allows you to learn new information, but it also expands your mind to new ideas and engages your brain in so many fantastic ways than just merely watching TV every day. Whether you read the newspaper, a novel or a textbook, your reading has improved your life and has made you a successful person this year.

10. If you worked harder than you ever have before, then you were successful.

I can say that I have never worked as hard as I have this year due to the classes and various activities I put myself through. With the rigorous courses I had to complete, and the various groups I was a part of, I had to learn to work hard and manage my time in ways I never have before. I spent most of my time studying and working as hard as possible to achieve the grades I desired to have this year. If you were in the same boat, or worked very hard on other important projects that were related to your passion, then you were very successful this year too.

So success doesn't have to stem from amazing adventures, straight A's or losing 25 pounds. Success comes from the small actions that you perform every day that transform you into a better version of yourself, and help lead you to your aspirations and goals for the future. Even though I may not be traveling around the world, or losing weight to look like a model like some of my friends, the way I have grown positively as a person these past two years has allowed me to become closer to my goals.To me, that is a version of success we all should be looking for.