6 Tips Every Freshman Need To Hear To Survive Ball State University

It won't just be college for long; it will be your home.

423

College is an important step that many people take fresh out of high school. For most people, going to college is scary but also exciting. Since I have just recently marked the halfway point of my first semester, I decided to come up with some helpful tips for any newcomers next year.

1. Don't be shy.

For me, my high school years sucked because I was constantly struggling with being myself and not getting judged. To many people that I went to high school with, I was shy but as I started college I began to show my true colors and not worry what anyone else thought because they probably don't care either. In my first few months at Ball State, I have seen people go to class in their pajamas, people try and start various interesting fashion trends, and people who are just not afraid to be themselves and the good thing about all of this is that no one judges them for that.

Many of you will come to college with few or no friends and be scared about making friends and finding your place on campus. The good thing is that you will find your place and friends that you will have for life. Do not only find friends within your major, but also in various majors so that you can learn about new cultures, majors, and more.

2. There is not a "bad" dorm

Although there may be a stigma about the older dorms not being as good, they all have their own special qualities. LaFollette may not have air conditioning but it does have some ghost stories about the upper floors and is a great freshman dorm where you can meet all kinds of people.

Noyer may look small and not all of it has air conditioning but it has a lot of food options and most of the residence hall is handicap accessible. Studebaker West may have smaller rooms (not by much) and you can not loft your beds but it is new and has air conditioning. As you can see from these examples, every residence hall on campus adds up with all of its quirks to show that they are all great places to live.

3. The .80 cent refills will save your life

My life (sadly) revolves around caffeine and it adds up to be pretty expensive when you are living on campus without a car so when I found out that you can buy a Ball State water bottle (I have an amazing quality CamelBak) and get .80 refills, I jumped at the opportunity. It is great to wake up in the morning and being able to put an $0.80 refill on my dining plus when I need to wake up quickly. I also appreciate Ball State's green initiatives. For example, they have many recycling bins around campus and encourage replacing plastic bags with reusable bags.

4. Remember that Bracken is almost always open until 3 am.

Whether we want to admit it or not, we are all cramming for a test at one point or another and it is great to always know that we have the Bracken Library looking out for us. With their normal operating hours until 3 am, (and even later during final exams) a testing lab in the basement, and different floors for the perfect amount of noise your need, bracken is the perfect place to study. Also, don't forget about the famous Bookmark Cafe on the first floor. It will keep you fueled up for your long night of studying.

5. Find something to get involved in on campus.

After a bit, the endless cycle of hanging out with friends, Netflix, studying, and classes can get boring so get involved in your building, on campus, or in your community! There are so many organizations you can join from sororities, fraternities, and RHA (residence hall association) to smaller clubs like the conspiracy club. Getting involved in something you love is an essential part of college.

6. Don't grow up too fast.

Even though you are now officially becoming an adult by moving away from your parents, taking on more responsibilities, and learning what you want to do for your career, that doesn't mean that you have to fully grow up. Save time for you to do what you love whether it be coloring, goofing around, or spending time with your friends. No one wants to grow up too quickly so just remember that you still have time to grow.

College is a big step that almost everyone takes but you just have to remember that you're not the first one to experience the anxieties, questions, and homesickness. Find someone you trust who you can talk to about your college transition and make your college years some of your best years. As I said before, college is not highschool and you will make many memorable memories and a lifetime of friendship at Ball State University.