How Studio Ghibli Changed My Life

How Studio Ghibli Changed My Life

Beautiful and inspirational, and I have learned so much from all of their movies!

295
How Studio Ghibli Changed My Life
Rosalind Keeley

I have been watching Studio Ghibli's anime movies for about half of my life and I am still moved to this day by the lessons and themes that anyone can learn from these fantastic works of art. My boyfriend and I love watching these movies together, not only because they are beautifully made and have fabulous and creative plot lines, but because we learn new things about ourselves. Even if you aren't an anime fan, I encourage you to watch these films. I want to elaborate on some lessons that I treasure and appreciate that I have learned through many of these beloved movies.

1. Women are strong.

In many anime movies, women are often the main characters. As a female myself, I think it is amazing that this company, especially, makes women so strong and powerful. I appreciate that they aren't always the damsels in distress.

2. Be yourself!

My strength and personality lie within me just like in "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Spirited Away." The two young girls in these movies find their inspiration and hidden qualities during these amazing and beautiful films. As a college student, I had to find out who I was and I could only do so by being myself. I have found who I am and I have found hidden qualities like these two young girls as well.

3. Love can take many shapes and sizes and backgrounds.

One of my favorite aspects of anime is the fact that the "Beauty and the Beast" theme occurs over and over again. In one of my favorite movies, "Howl's Moving Castle," there is a double curse that is put on Howl and the protagonist, Sophie (another heroine). In many instances, the woman (or man) loves another character no matter what happens and keeps fighting for them. Love really does conquer all.

4. Never give up.

In both "Porco Rosso" and "The Wind Rises," both protagonists never give up on their dreams and continue to work at flying and creating "beautiful planes." After failed attempt after failed attempt, the main protagonist in "The Wind Rises" designs multitudes of models until he gets the fastest plane possible while keeping true to his dream. I try to keep this in mind in school when I am on the field or in any situation. Just strive to do the best I can and be myself.

5. Family matters.

Whenever I watch a movie like "My Neighbor Totoro" or "Grave of the Fireflies," I always think of my family and my little sister. Life is hard, but no matter what happens, your family comes first and I have learned that you should go to great lengths to make sure they come home OK.

6. Adventure is always out there.

It doesn't matter if you were kidnapped by a bunch of cats or in search of a lost city -- you will always find new places to go and new things to see. Your friends will always be by your side and you will always make memories that will change the way you view the world and yourself.

Many people think that anime is a little strange and it really is sometimes, but I always get little nuggets of wisdom each time I watch Studio Ghibli movies. I would definitely recommend any of the ones that I have mentioned and others that I have not. I laugh, cry and yell at many of them and I bet you will too and grow to appreciate the art like I have.