Let's Call 'Stealthing' What It Really Is: Rape

And why that's the worst.

28

We all like to think trends are cool, right?

Well, not all the time.

Let me get straight to the point here.

"Stealthing" is the name of the trend.

The latest bedroom trend doesn't involve sexy new moves, and it's not fun. It involves men secretly taking off their condoms during consensual sex, and later bragging about it online. The troubling part about this trend is that men encourage other men to "stealth" their partners.Women don't understand how to describe it. Initially, they consented to sex with a condom but when a man takes off the condom, then it's no longer consensual. Therefore, it's rape.

But these are the looks of some who may seem to disagree:

I was in class the other day and some guy had the audacity to defend 'slealthing' by saying, "Sometimes people look for power during sex," which had me blurt out the question, "Who do you have sex with?" Obviously, those who were around me heard me and turned around. He sits in the middle of women as if he was the power junkie he claims to be. Which also made me know he wasn't the only guy to think like that but just one of the few who had the balls to blurt it out.

Rather than trying to make this sentimental — let's be real.

People don't want to talk about rape or sexual assault because it's too hard.

Talking about sexual assault makes me people uncomfortable because it's something that shouldn't be happening. Being uncomfortable means we know it's wrong. But no one wants to make the effort to be an activist, to teach people that wrong is wrong and right is right.

Rape culture is the worst kind of teacher our kids are learning from. It teaches two lessons: it teaches women that it is their responsibility to not get raped and that boys will be boys.

Now, this is me looking around for the common sense that surrounds that lesson.

But, let's get back to the uncomfortable feeling.

Sexual assault has the lowest conviction rate of any violent crime. Because of the high rate of non-reporting, only TWO AND A HALF PERCENTof rapists are convicted. Arrests are made in only 37 percent of the reported cases. But, just because they are arrested doesn't mean they ever see prison.

Crazy, right?

Time to change that by letting the societal image of discomfort when discussing rape and sexual assault and it's wrong doings towards a victim.

Society has to let go of stigmas and socially constructed norms in order for progress to occur.

Hopefully, in time, positive change can come.