Thank You, Daddy, For Everything, But It's Time For Me To Move On Now

You taught me to be happy and to be treated right — I'll be OK.

169
Heidi Mae Brown

Dear Daddy,

You're right, I will never know what appreciation means because I don't say "thank you" enough.

So thank you.

I have so much to tell you. I believe you have taught me how to love someone who was going to treat me right and respect me for who I am.

I found that person, he was always in front of me this whole time — and I think you would love him.

I believe he is perfect for me.

As you would say, "Show him my gun cabinet and my knives collection and I'll show it if he hurts you, here it is,"

Honestly, Daddy, let me go, it's time to let go of your little girl for the next few years. I will always be your little girl. I love you so much, but It's time.

You have taught me from left to right, right to left and up down, and down and up. It's been almost 20 years, Dad.

It's time to let go of this pink color, blonde, curled and blue-eyed little girl. I'm all grown up... I know I will always be your little girl, but it's time for me to fight my own battles and go back home to South Carolina to be on my own.

I'm ready... I'm ready to be that person you always taught me to be. I can't wait until you walk me down that aisle to my future.

I honestly want you to be OK with this man now. I deserve love. I deserve to be loved. You taught me how to love and respect and have loyalty to myself.

I want to show you I learned so much, and I am ready to go back to my home state without being able to cling on to your help.

You don't think I'll ever be OK or that the guy is right, but I'm going to be OK!

I love you, I really do, but please... let me go... it's time.

As Trace Adkins sang,

"Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her It's a nice place
She says It'll do for now
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says Baby, just slow down"

You taught me to be happy and to be treated right — I'll be OK.

Love,

Your blue-eyed little girl who was small and wrapped up in a pink blanket when she was born.