How To Say "I Love You"

How To Say "I Love You"

It's never too late or too early to say what you feel.

141
How To Say "I Love You"
The Odyssey Online

Saying "I love you" for the first time can be a nerve-wracking experience. As you contemplate even just the thought of those three syllables leaving your lips, all these questions and concerns buzz around in your head.

Is it the right time? Is he or she the one? Does he or she feel the same way as I do? What if he or she doesn't say it back? What if I am crazy?

Although it may be stressful, it is natural to feel this way. A first-love is a confusing, yet unforgettable experience. It is a whirlwind of new emotions all at once; it is full of its ups and downs. Regardless of its outcome or longevity, your first, real relationship stays with you. And, the first time you say " I love you" to your partner stays too.

I remember the first time I said "I love you" to my boyfriend like it was yesterday. We had been in a relationship for about three months, and neither of us had said anything of the sort. We were both still trying to figure one another out, still trying to get to know each other. I had contemplating saying those three magic words over and over, but I never thought the time was right.

What if it gets awkward? What if he doesn't say anything back? What if he doesn't love me?

I didn't want to make the first-move. I was too nervous and scared. This was my first time being in a real relationship, my first-love. I didn't know what to expect or what to do. So, I did what I thought was right. I always held back.

The night he first said "I love you" to me was a night I will always remember. We were both having a bad day, and as I turned to sit next to him on his bed, he finally said it. "I love you." And, I smiled, looked back and repeated those three special words. "I love you too."

From that moment forward, it was no longer awkward to say those 3 syllables that we both knew we meant. Now, it just flows out naturally, and we say it back and forth multiple times throughout the day. Sure, it wasn't easy at first to jump over that hurdle and just say what was on my mind, but together, we did it.

So, for those of you who are in a state of confusion, who don't know what your next moves should be, I would strongly encourage you to take the chance. You never know until you try right? Take a risk and say what's on your mind. Say "I love you," and say it like you mean it. But, be cautioned. Say "I love you" only if you truly mean it. And, in certain situations, it is okay to not respond back.

Decisions always become the toughest when love is involved. Just follow your heart, go with your instincts, and everything else will fall into place. That's the way it should be.