How I Met Your Mother: Should There Be A Spinoff?

7
Collider

How I Met Your Mother holds a very special place in my heart. Of course, I am not the only one who feels this way. The show defined how a generation of viewers looked at relationships and living out your life with your best friends by your side. The show, running for nine seasons, had its ups and downs like any other show but ultimately, it became one of the most loved and popular shows on television. Recently, a news update has emerged on the possible spinoff, How I Met Your Father. The show would be written from the female’s perspective but would not include any of the original cast.

When HIMYM was ending its final season, the spinoff, How I Met Your Dad was supposed to have its pilot episode but complications in negotiations between CBS and 20th TV saw the project end before it began. Fast-forward two years and the new spinoff is in the works. Barring any complications this time around, How I Met Your Father will become a brand new show.

For anyone who has never seen How I Met Your Mother, the show follows the story of Ted Mosby, who is trying to find his wife in the Big Apple. The whole show is a story told to Ted’s children, many years into the future. Along the way, the audience sees the lives of Ted’s friends, Lily, Marshall, Robin and Barney. As the show progresses, Ted’s learns, both from his friends and life experiences, how difficult it can be to find “the one”. In the new spinoff series, the show would follow the same idea, but an entirely new cast. There are many fans that are excited about the prospect of seeing a new story but would the show do well in the long run?

Looking at it in a positive way, the show could do well from the very beginning, as fans from the original show would want to see the changes that the studio makes with the series. The show would have a large audience and there could be a chance to make amends for the original series’ downfalls. The original show was heavily criticized for the finale and this show could make audiences forget about that and focus on something new and fresh.

On the other hand, the show would have to wow audiences from the start. Audiences will have high hopes after the original show. Although the first few seasons of HIMYM did not do very well, the show took off mid-way through and never looked back. The new show would need to find the right balance of comedy and emotion, just as the first show did.

Either way, I will be tuning in if they make a new spinoff. The original show broke boundaries of television by showing viewers the real life part of relationships, not a made up fantasy style world. The show got down to the core of people’s emotions and showed that at the end of the day, we need everyone in our lives to make us who we are. We must become the person we need to be to meet that right person. The new show could remind all of us what it means to be emotional and why it’s okay to be emotional. Whatever happens, I hope How I Met Your Father breaks the charts and shows audiences that there is more to life than fantasy.