How I Knew I Wanted To Be A Teacher

Teaching is usually a career that is looked down upon. However, there a select few that have really shown their passion for teaching. And there are also those that have known that they have wanted to be a teacher since a young age, including me.

I knew I wanted to be a teacher since preschool. Some may argue that this age is too young to know what you want to do after college, which is over two decades away from preschool. I recently found one of my preschool interviews, with the teacher asking what I wanted to be when I grew up. The answer? A mom and a teacher. Once I entered elementary school, I took notice of the way classrooms were organized. I admired the way the bulletin boards were decorated, the way decorations were lined wall by wall, the neatness of the markers organized in bins. I liked the way the lessons were creative and carefully planned out. I looked up to my teachers, hoping I could be just like them one day.

When I entered middle school, I started to envision myself in my own classroom. I mentally planned out where each board would be and what would be on it. I grouped my students into desk arrangements, and mentally thought out lesson plans. Between the summers of middle school, I started a counselor-in-training program. This allowed me to practice to take on the role of a camp counselor. I really enjoyed this program, and I knew that I definitely wanted to take on this position.

In high school, I then became a camp counselor in between school years. I then realized how difficult of a job it was. Children were exhausting, annoying, and made me want to tear my here out. But at the same time, I came to love this job more and more. I love children. They make me laugh, they're not afraid to be honest, they're cute, and they're just plain fun to be around. I don't know if I could live without them.

Then came college. I was extremely excited to start my teaching classes. However, freshman year requires all general ed classes, and I was frustrated that I had to wait in order to start preparing for my future endeavors. But I waited with patience. And finally, I have started them. I actually look forward to these classes. Knowing that I am inching closer and closer to my dream career makes me feel ecstatic. I am eager to answer all of my professor's questions knowing that I am here to learn about what I am planning on doing after college. I want to be the best teacher I can be. And here my journey starts.