How work applications have changed.

I've worked in retail for four years now. During the summer of 2018, I desperately tried to get out by applying to FIFTY FOUR non-retail jobs and internships that are associated with my college major and got absolutely nothing in response. The employment process has drastically changed in annoying and inconvenient ways, but hopefully things get better.

You can only apply online at most places

This, personally, is incredibly frustrating. The internet is a fickle mistress and you can't always tell if your application actually got submitted. I'd much rather hand someone my application in person than question whether or not they received it online.

Calling to check on your application... just to have to decode their automated system

I just want to speak to a human, not a machine. Why is that so hard?

Having someone actually get annoyed with you for calling about your application

You'd think they'd be impressed that I'm even interested. Leave that sass at home.

Internships

Not only am I applying to work for free but it's difficult to actually find internships you qualify for AND are hiring. Why is it so difficult to work for free?

Getting the dreaded email of denial

It gets worse when it says "we're looking for more qualified individuals". Why can't you at least call and tell me, why does it have to be an email?