Your Roommate Can Become Your Best Friend

13 ways that my roommates have proven they are the best friends I could ask for

I've seen what they have to do in order to achieve their goals. It's never easy, but we are there for each other every step of the way.

94

Living with another person can be a strange concept, especially if it isn't someone you know. Your place to refresh at the end of a busy school day may already be occupied. By becoming friends with my roommates, I don't feel the need to be alone at the end of the day. It's like having a sleepover every night, but you both need to get to sleep at a decent hour. My roommates have become my best friends and these are just a few of the reasons why.

1. They've seen me at my worst

They've seen me sad, stressed, and sick. Yet, they still treat me the same way they did before.

2. They've seen me at my best

When I succeed, they celebrate with me. When they succeed, I'm overcome with pride. I've seen what they have to do in order to achieve their goals. It's never easy, but we are there for each other every step of the way.

3. They get brunch with me

It makes us both have to get up at a decent hour on the weekends. We also have the chance to catch up!

4. They listen to me vent (almost every single day)

College is beyond stressful - both academically and socially. My roomie is always there at the end of the day to listen to everything that's on my mind. I love being able to do the same.

5. They give me advice

If I'm about to do something that I'll probably regret, like send a frustrated e-mail to a professor, my roommate will stop me and talk it out with me. That way, whatever message is outgoing, it's written with a sane mind.

6. They help me prepare for interviews

I've loved being able to interrogate my roommates on possible questions that they may be asked. It makes me think about how I would answer them, too. Since I'm not the one preparing, I can help them reword their answers so that they feel more confident for their interview.

7. They wake me up when my alarm clock doesn't, even if they don't have to be awake that early

The trust that builds between roommates who wake up each other is like no other. If I don't have to get out of bed, I can wake up at any time. But when I have a final at eight in the morning, I worry that I won't make it. But I don't have to panic because my roommate always has my back.

8. They help me with deciding my outfits and doing my makeup and hair

Or at least give me an honest opinion on how it looks!

9. They buy me dinner if I can't go out because I'm drowning in homework that's due at midnight

Fact: college students procrastinate. So when I have a huge project that I need to complete and don't have the time to get food, they're keeping me fed. And don't worry, I pay them back.

10. They go to concerts with me

One of the best concerts I've ever gone to was with my roommate!

11. They go to PUSH with me

When I get sick or injured, I don't have to go alone.

12. They laugh with me, not at me

I died laughing almost every single night that I spend with my roommate. We all have our quirks, and you get to experience ALL of them. The best nights were the inevitable "I don't remember the last time I slept well so I'm extremely sleep deprived" nights.

13. They allow me to do all of these things for them in return

I see them at their highs and lows. I give them advice and support through everything. We become inseparable. No matter how much time has passed since I've seen them, we stay updated on each other's lives.

I'm so lucky to have had the best roomies I could have asked for.