How I'm Celebrating Black History Month

How I'm Celebrating Black History Month

My inspiration for starting a business

17
How I'm Celebrating Black History Month
Quotes Berry

February, as most of know, is Black History Month. It’s at this time that we remember and celebrate the initiative and innovation of many African American persons that were great examples of human progress. As a young woman of Black decent, I have found my own way to celebrate the efforts and achievements of those who have preceded me. Recently, I have come across an exciting opportunity that will provide me with my own personal success and I’m so incredibly excited to share it. However, before I get to this exciting news I’d like to first share a story that will explains the origin of my determination and work ethic.

In 2009, a very impressionable sixth-grader spent most of her days studying and exploring her backyard. She did her best to maintain good grades in school and do as her parents asked, because that is what she knew was supposed to be done and how she was expected to act. She had great dreams of being a great scholar and short term goals of being in the top 5 percent of her grade to show up all those teasing boys.

School was a top priority and main focus, because as a quirky, geeky, introvert that enjoyed science more than boys friends are far and few between. She went through her school career, so far, strongly believing that when fellow students aren’t on your side teachers and educators would be. She, however, would soon learn that even this cannot true. One afternoon, while running an errand for an advisor of the after school program, she came across an interesting conversation. This particular conversation was between teachers of the upper grade honors program, and how little faith they had of the existence of the program. In that conversation one piece stuck with her, “That girl from ___’s homeroom? Oh she’ll end up like most others by the end of the program or in high school. A dropout, pregnant, or both.”

As those words sat with her, tears rolled down her face. With a heavy heart, she ran back to the classroom where her backpack sat to be excused home.

That sixth grader was me. Shocking right? How could any educator say something about any student, especially one they did not know personally? Maybe it was because they did not enjoy working in the program anymore, or tired of students falling into their stereotypes.That is a question I may never have an answer to, but I can say this. As crushed as I was, I chose to not sit and dwell on it. I used it to motivate me to always put my best foot forward and put my whole heart into the things I choose to do.

My efforts have led me to a great place in my life now, and I could not be more appreciative for the experiences I’ve had. So this year I will be making my own personal history as my way of celebrating Black History Month. No efforts of those before me will go to waste. As Business Management Major at Humboldt State University I have learned that it requires risk to achieve the best rewards. So it is with this piece that I announce my newest business adventure, becoming a Beauty Consultant for Mary Kay! This is only where I start, over the next several months I will be working to achieve the title of Independent Sales Director. WIth a SIX month game plan and fiery spirit I am ready to push to the end! I know it will not be an easy journey but the work is worth it. Starting my own business is what I need to make my mark not just this month but in 2017. I could not have without the help of my close friend and mentor Andrew and new Sales Director Rikki.

To those teachers who had little faith in me, I say that I am not my stereotypes. For those feel as I once did, know that your success will come from you being your biggest supporter. If you believe in yourself other will follow suit. This Black History Month I am in the making of my history.