How Humans are Bad for Animals

How Humans are Bad for Animals

5 ways that humans hurt animals

77
How Humans are Bad for Animals
modamadison.com

We hate seeing animals in pain, being hunted, or being mistreated. There are many practices that put animals in danger. Many activities that place animals in situations that they wouldn't be in naturally. From extreme things such as poaching and hunting to small things as the mistreatment of pet. Humans seem to believe that they are at the top of the food chain and seem to forget how their actions effect wildlife. Here is a list of 5 ways that we are mistreating or harming animal life.

1. Zoos/Aquariums

Zoos and aquariums are fun until you look deeper into these places. Animals weren't meant to be kept in cages, in small enclosures, and in tanks. We have all seen stories or videos of animals supposedly expressing sadness or pain from being held in captivity. From whales bashing their heads against the tank repeatedly, to apes trying to break out of their enclosure or bears doing next to nothing due to their sadness of being caged.

Zoos and aquariums tend to have very small enclosures for their animals. Whales are huge. Their tanks, while large to us, are very minuscule compared to the ocean OBVIOUSLY. Tigers tend to have habitats that mirror their native habitats, but they do not compare to the real thing and the experience of having tens to hundreds of other big cats and native prey around.

Obviously, some endangered animals need to be in zoos to ensure their survival. If they don't need to be there, they shouldn't be there.

2. Animal Testing

Many big name products test on animals to ensure they are safe on humans. These trials can take years to perfect and each trial needs to be tested. It is cheaper and time efficient to test on animals versus trying to make cruelty free products. There are many brands that we use every day that test on animals. For every product that tests on animals, there is definitely a better, cruelty free product that can do the job for you.

Some brands that test on animals are: L'Oreal, Dove, Listerine, Old Spice, Febreze, Tide, ChapStick, and MAC just to name a few.

3. Fur Pelts

Are fur coats cool anymore? I don't know but there are still companies that kill animals for their pelts, skin, etc. According to PETA (People for the Ethnic Treatment of Animals) says that most of the United State's fur comes from China. China doesn't have as strict laws when it comes to treatment of animals and basic work conditions. These fur farms use "the cheapest and cruelest killing methods" to be able to harvest the pelts. On the other hand, animals can also be captured from the wild. These animals are often hurt and suffer from "blood loss, dehydration, and shock" while being taken to the fur plants if they don't die on the way.

4. Mistreating Pets

We don't always think about this but we can be harming our pets. When we think about mistreating pets, we think of dogs being tied to trees by a chain or leaving dogs starving in your yard. When you are thinking about getting a pet, you should always think about the long term. He/she may might only be part of your life, but for him/her, you are his/her whole life. Don't get a pet if you intend on getting rid of it later. Yes, things do happen and you are forced to but do your best to not have that happen. Similarly, owners sometimes do not know how to take care of smaller animals such as snakes, mice, fish, or lizards. If you don't properly take care of those pets, they end up dying quicker than expected and possibly even suffer. Remember adopt, don't shop.

5. Dumping

Dumping things into the street or into bodies of water can damage the environment and kill animals. Yes, big companies that dump into the water kill native fish life and plant life. Do you think about dumping your own trash? When you dump chemicals like paint or cleaner into the street, that runoff can kill small animals or poison them. Throwing trash away can hurt animals if they eat the plastic. It can cut them up inside and kill them. Always dispose of your trash in a safe way and think again when you want to throw some trash out the window.