How Hillsong United Changed My Life

How Hillsong United Changed My Life

Every Hillsong United show I've been to, has left me renewed and transformed with a heart set for God.

362
How Hillsong United Changed My Life
Matt LeMattle
“My heart beating, my soul breathing
I found my life when I laid it down
Upward falling, spirit soaring
I touch the sky when my knees hit the ground”

These are lyrics from Hillsong United's song 'Touch the Sky,' one of the many songs which have changed my life. Growing up, Hillsong United was THE Christian band everyone loved. Their songs were played every Sunday and I had memorized the lyrics to almost all of their songs. Back when I was in middle school, Hillsong United was playing a free concert at my church. My friend and I had gotten there hours before the concert and the line wrapped all around the church. This showed the magnitude of how big this band was in Christian culture. Unfortunately, we never got to see them that day, but little did I know, I would see them again years later.

May 13, 2015, Hillsong United were presenting their new album "Empires" for the first time at Club Nokia in Los Angeles. Before this concert, I hadn’t listened much to Hillsong United and left it behind with my middle school years. However, I had a friend who was passionate about worship music and got me interested in them again. We bought our tickets the night before of the show and it was one of the best decisions of my life.

We sat in the balcony seats, excited to hear what new songs the band had as well as their old ones. The worship lasted for about an hour and half and it reintroduced the love I had for this genre of music that I had left behind. The lyrics in the songs held such great meaning and I felt alive knowing I was praising God with such a powerful love. After the show had ended, I walked away with tears in my eyes and a fire in my heart burning for God. I fell back in love with Hillsong United and their music.

Once the "Empires" album came out, it was the only album I would listen to for days. The next time I saw them perform again was on February 23, 2016 at the Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario. I was blessed enough to have gotten general admission tickets where I stood so close to the band and stage. Although, they played the same songs as before, the show was different as they added graphics and new moments of prayer and Scripture reading. Joel Houston would stop and talk to the crowd about the true meaning of worship and why we do it. I look up to Joel because he is so knowledgeable about the Bible and his words always push me in my relationship with God.

Hillsong United has the unique ability to create songs with lyrics which make you stop and think about how wonderful God is. The lyrics reflect Scripture and express how we should be worshipping God. Listening to Hillsong United, led me into discovering Hillsong Young and Free (who I have seen live as well) and Hillsong Worship. I was able to redeem myself when Hillsong Worship came to church again to perform. Joel Houston and Taya Smith led worship as they performed songs from their new album "Let There Be Light."

Last time I saw Hillsong United perform was at the Forum in Los Angeles on May 18, 2016. Although the show was about the same as to when I saw them in Ontario, the show was still just as powerful. I am grateful for Hillsong United because when I am feeling in a rut, or discouraged their music uplifts me. I listen to Hillsong United almost everyday because their music has helped me get through so much in life. Whether the moments in my life are low or high, I will always praise God with their music.