12 Signs You're In A Healthy Relationship

A list of ways to tell whether you have a healthy relationship or not.

93
Elizabeth Tsung

A lot of times, we fall for people who are obviously not so good for us. Other times, it’s much harder to tell what’s good for us and if our relationship truly is healthy. Just because you love someone doesn’t mean that you’re right where you should be! Here are some ways you can check in on your relationship and keep up on whether you are on the right track.

1. You and your partner can communicate effectively.

Even if you are both angry, you are able to cool off and discuss the problem. Being able to talk to each other is one of the biggest indicators of a healthy relationship, because you are able to problem-solve together. You are a team!

2. You both understand that compromise is very important.

Compromise can be a scary word, but all it means in this situation is that you and your partner are able to sometimes give something up for the other one to be happy. Meeting each other halfway is an important part of respect!

3. You know how to make each other laugh, even when it’s hard.

Life is going to throw curve balls at you both, and laughter isn't always necessary, but it definitely helps!

4. The hard times are a bit easier when you are together.

Funerals, dying friendships, speeding tickets -- your life is going to have obstacles. If you get to have your best friend help you through them, you're a lucky person!

5. You can have other hobbies and friendships outside of your relationship.

Being able to throw yourself into a project can be therapeutic on its own; make sure to give your partner some time and space to do their own thing.

6. Your family feels they can be honest with you about your partner.

This doesn't mean that to be healthy your family has to love the person you are with. Hell no! It does mean that you are able to be open about your relationship to your family. After all, they were there for you first!

7. You both are able to focus on your own passions without frustration or jealousy.

This is a perfect example of how not to be! Give your love some space. Trust me, the time away will make it that much better to see each other.

8. You push one another to do the very best that you can.

Even if you don't always agree with what your partner is doing, you still push them to finish it and do it excellently. This is important if you love them and want them to live a successful life!

9. You are OK with staying home for the night and spending time together.

Clubs and restaurants are fancy, yes, but being able to hang out together in a no-pressure environment is also important. Being able to be yourself and relax together builds a great healthy relationship.

10. Your partner doesn’t make jokes at your expense; instead, they raise you up.

Humor can have a very thin line; don't ever feel that you cannot speak up if your partner always makes you the star of their jokes. That isn't fair!

11. You are able to talk about sex and communicate openly.

Now, just because communicating about sex is important does NOT mean that you have to be having sex to be healthy! Whatever you both agree upon is going to the be the best for you both. Remember that being healthy means being able to talk about anything, even sensitive topics!

12. Life is 10x better with them by your side!

You finally found your partner in crime and life! Support and listen to them, and you will both have a healthy and fun time together.