How "Get Out" Brilliantly Addresses Interracial Relationships

Could this be a game changer for horror flicks?

589
indiewire.com

I’m going to be the first to say that I’m excited for the movies that are coming out this year in 2017. You got the movie “Logan” coming out in March, “Spiderman: Homecoming” coming out in the summer, and the “Justice League” later this year. Being a big nerd, I think it’s easy to tell how pumped I am for these movies. But while we won’t see these movies for months, the movie that I’m actually pumped to see the most comes out next week and it’s called “Get Out."

To give a quick summary of it, “Get Out” is “horror” film directed by Jordan Peele. Yeah, you heard me right. Comedian/Actor Jordan Peele is directing a horror film! Crazy right? Anyway, the story is about an interracial couple of a black man and white woman going to the white girl’s parent’s house for the weekend. The way the movie is set up (from what I’ve seen from the trailers) is that the scary element will come from the awkwardness and uncomfortable environment the black guy feels from the white people around him. I’m sorry, but am I the only one that thinks this movie is genius?

I know there might be some horror movie fans out there saying, “They’re really making this into a horror movie?” I think this concept is brilliant. I think it’s so awesome because 1.) This seems like parody movie but it’s not and 2.) This is something that is very real. First off, it’s weird because you would think this movie would be like another “Scary Movie” parody, but it’s not. It makes fun at certain things that could make you laugh, but it shows enough horror elements where it still takes itself seriously as a horror movie. I think this could definitely be a game changer for how we look at horror films.

The second point is how real situations can be when dealing with this. Yeah sure, this movie obviously dramatizes itself to make it more intense, but when it comes to the actual awkwardness of being in an interracial relationship, it’s very real. Look, I wish the whole thing about interracial relationships wasn’t such a big deal, (especially since it is 2017) but the truth is there are still people out there who frown down on them.

I know this because I’ve been in one before and I know the nerve racking feeling of worrying about whether or not her parents would accept me. Let’s be honest. When you are dating someone new and have to meet their parents for the first time, it’s already an anxious feeling because you don’t know how they’ll act towards you. But dating someone of a different race and their parents not accepting you because of your skin color is pretty stressful. This movie intensifies that feeling by not only making it something to fear and dread, but also conveying the underlying message that people don’t see: some interracial relationships can be horrifying. I’ll be looking forward to watching this movie when it comes out next week. Peace.