How To Get Along With Your Roomie

How To Get Along With Your Roomie

Guide to Living 101

85
How To Get Along With Your Roomie
Victoria Salvatore

It is not always the easiest thing to live with someone. Most of us have lived in a room by ourselves for our entire lives, free to do as we please. However, once you come to college, that all changes. You are crammed into a little box with a complete stranger. Somehow, I have made it work. I used to share a room with my sister for several years, so I had a little background knowledge of what it was going to be like to live with someone else. Me and my roommate get along pretty well, so here are some tips we have learned along the way.

1. Always Ask First!

I know this seems like common sense, but it is so important to ask to borrow or use your roommate's things. Yes, we all forget to at times and it happens. But, if you ask them to use their straightener or eat their food, they will appreciate you that much more for being so considerate.

2. Take turns doing things.

Whether it be vacuuming the rug or taking out the trash, try to alternate who does it each time. This way, you are both doing your part to keep the room clean.

3. Be honest.

No one likes to get into arguments, but it happens. However, you can not let all of that tension build up. You are living in the same room as this person. If you have a problem with them, talk it out with them, no matter how painful the conversation may be. It will make you both feel better and you can move away from it at once.

4. Be independent.

Remember that it is okay not to see your roommate every second of every day. Since you are living together, it would also probably be smart to spend some time away from each other. Branch out and do new activities and meet new people. Be able to survive a day without them.

5. Be there for them.

Whether it be a drunk phone call at 2 AM or just an "I want food" text in the middle of the afternoon, remember to support your roomie. I know I am usually the one who has the problems, but my roommate is always there to listen to me. She talks to me and knows how to calm me down. Always always be supportive of each other.

6. Respect.

This should go without saying, but always just be polite and don't push the wrong buttons. You will quickly get to know your roommate very well, perhaps more than anyone else. So, you know what makes them tick, what upsets them, etc. Always be respectful and you will be a lot happier.

Not every day is sunshine and rainbows. But, if you and your roommate are willing to work on things, you will have a great relationship. It is all about the effort you are willing to put into the friendship. I am lucky that I found someone who puts in the same effort that I do.