How My Past Made Me Who I Am Today

How My Past Made Me Who I Am Today

How your past affects who you become.

14156
How My Past Made Me Who I Am Today
iiii iiii

Everyone has a major event that has shaped their lifetime in one way or another. Whether it is positive or negative, it has changed their life forever. In most cases, these events are unplanned and out of our control. Everything happens for a reason, and the universe has a way of making us grow up at some point in our existence: it throws a life-changing punch if you’re ready for it or not — transformation of one’s character will undergo a test. Sometimes it may not be just one event, but multiple events that have forced one to become more mature. In my case, I have gone through three major changes, but for personal reasons I will only talk about two that changed my world drastically. These two events have dealt with people in my life that have passed away who are very important to me, and both have taught me valuable lessons.

The first event that has altered my life was the passing of my Grandpa Rick. My Grandpa Rick was one of the most amazing and passionate people anyone had ever met. He was a pastor, but most importantly he was my friend. My whole family is very athletic and sports-influenced primarily because of him. Ever since I was old enough to walk, I could dribble and shoot a basketball. The love of basketball runs through my family’s veins as if we were all born with the instinct to adapt and be competitive in it. He would be at all my games yelling my name, cheering me on, and if I was in the off season he would be training me to make me a better player. Our relationship was based off of basketball. One day at the first public school I attended, I tried out for the team. I was so excited when I made it, and I knew he was going to be so proud! Later that night, I found myself staring into the emergency room with my family in tears. He had passed away from a heart attack that day. My heart broke as I stood there in disbelief, thinking how my best friend could be gone and why this was happening to me. It took me a long time to really accept the fact that I was never going to see him again, and that I was never given the chance to say goodbye. I lost my love and drive for basketball. Playing basketball after he was gone didn’t feel right. I wasn’t happy anymore; I was working so hard at it and for what? To be yelled at by my coaches because we lost a game? I had to find something that made me happy again, and I had to really dig deep and start learning who I really was as a person. It made me start thinking about if I was really becoming the person I wanted to be or what the person was my family expected me to be. A couple years after I stopped playing basketball, I learned about my love for performing and entertaining people. I was so fascinated by the process and the feeling of performing live in front of an audience. The energy in the room was electrifying! The glitz and glamour of the costumes as the spotlight would hit them on opening night was the best feeling ever. My family loved and supported me as theater changed who I am in the best way. Before I found theater, I still went through an abundance of changes and nothing could prepare me for the next passing.

Another major event that occurred was the passing of my Grandpa Mike. My Grandpa Mike was one of the most forgiving, loving and kind-hearted people in the world. He was the heart and soul of my dad’s family with the constant laughing and silly humor — you could never be in a bad mood around him. His conversation made you think on a more intelligent level, pushing you to be better without you even knowing it. I strive to be half the person he was; always putting others before himself and having family as his top priority. He spoiled me so much, but also taught me the meaning and value of things and to never take anything for granted. My dad sat on the couch and told us kids that an unfortunate event had occurred: that my grandpa had passed. Just one break — something positive to happen… but it felt like life was wanting to beat me up and take my childhood away from me. I remember thinking this was so unfair. That he was taken unexpectedly, and his life was cut short, and tragically my life was flipped upside down. I was furious and angry; however, this experience taught me to forgive even when forgiveness should not be given. It also taught me to live life to the fullest and never take anything for granted. Most of all it taught me how to be mature about situations and not go to bed mad or regret any choices I have in life. I wouldn't be as mature as I am today without dealing with the situation at hand as I did when I was at that young age.

These experiences were all negative and forced me out of my childhood and into adulthood. The thing is that some positive situations did come out of my life events. I didn’t see it then, but now it’s clear. Without the passing of my grandpas and other incidences that happened in my life, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. I strive to be kind-hearted and understanding person because of my grandpas’ examples. I will always try to be positive and look on the brighter side of every situation because of all of these experiences. I truly believe that without my personal events I wouldn’t be the person I am becoming. Through my life, lessons are far from over and I am still learning and growing up to being who I am; I now understand that everything happens for a reason and even though my childhood is over, I look forward to my experiences in my adulthood.