How Early Is Too Early For Christmas Decorations In Stores?

The controversial trend that is upsetting many shoppers!

1461
Public Domain Pictures

How early is too early for Christmas decorations in stores?

If you have been to any store in the past month, you may have noticed there is already a plethora of Christmas decorations hung up in the seasonal section. Many stores have started to unpack and display Christmas decorations as early as the beginning of October, much to the dismay of shoppers. I will admit, it is a bit startling to walk into the seasonal aisle looking for a Halloween costume and instead see a bunch of Christmas lights lit up. I remember when Christmas related décor and products weren’t put up until after Halloween, but those days seem to be long past us. The arrival of Christmas décor in stores seems to be growing more early as the years go by. I decided to write about the good and bad things concerning this phenomenon. While a lot of people I know think it’s ridiculous for stores to have Christmas/holiday décor up so early, I know that there are others who are pleased to see the assortment of Christmas trees and wrapping paper.

Some argue that a major benefit of stores having Christmas decorations and supplies already out on the aisles is that you can get a lot of Christmas shopping done early. They say this gives shoppers more time to stock up and purchase any Christmas décor they may need, including: wrapping paper, ribbon, Christmas lights, Christmas trees, and ornaments. I know a lot of people like to do their shopping early, so this would definitely prove to be a major benefit for those people.

Another argument I hear is that since Christmas is the greatest holiday out of the whole year, then it only makes sense to bring that Christmas joy early! I’m not going to lie, Christmas is my favorite holiday as well, but I don’t know if putting up Christmas décor in October is really the best way to jumpstart the Christmas season. I am guilty of listening to Christmas music early (I am actually listening to Christmas music as I write this), but I would never subject others to my weird obsession with Christmas.

As for those upset with the early arrival of Christmas, they say that it takes away from the two major holidays that precede Christmas: Halloween and Thanksgiving. I really love seeing the different Halloween decorations in stores, and I’d be lying if I said that seeing it alongside bright and happy Christmas décor doesn’t make me a bit peeved. I think October should be solely dedicated to everything Halloween, since Halloween actually occurs in October. I don’t know a single person that dislikes Christmas, but I think most people would just like for stores to hold off a bit before they post up Christmas decorations.

So, when is the right time to put up Christmas decorations in stores? Well, that depends on who you ask. In my opinion, I think Christmas décor should go up starting November 1st. however, some critics argue that Christmas supplies shouldn’t be in stores until after Thanksgiving. I personally think that’s a bit late, since Thanksgiving occurs near the end of November and that only leaves about a month until Christmas. However, I think most of us would agree that Christmas décor needs to stay out of stores until at least after Halloween.

I’m interested to hear your opinion! When is it acceptable for stores to put up Christmas decorations? Be sure to comment and let me know!