You don’t have to be religious to enjoy the holiday season. And despite what others might tell you, I’m here to tell you (yes, you, already jamming out to Michael Buble’s Christmas album) that it is not too early to start celebrating. Here is a list of ways you know you are already ready for the holidays:
1. You’ve already incorporated Christmas music into your daily playlists.
Mariah Carey, Michael Buble, Burl Ives, Bing Crosby, The Nutcracker Suite; the list goes on, and they are all subject to being blared in your dorm room, despite the protests of the people around you.
2. You’ve either already started or are planning how to decorate your dorm room.
Should we wrap the door? Rudolph or snowflakes? What if we did a silver and gold theme? Would hanging garland on the window work? The possibilities are endless!
3. You are so ready for winter weather.
Especially with the warm weather lately, you are so ready to pull out the bulky sweaters and knit scarves.
4. You’re far too excited for peppermint.
Peppermint everything. Coffee, tea, and candy. Candy canes in hot cocoa. Mini candy canes left on the dining commons tables. You name it, and you will grab it.
5. You can’t wait to get your first red cup of the season from Starbucks.
Call it basic all you want, but sometimes there is little that is more exciting than realizing the coffee shop near you is already feeling as festive as you are.
6. You’ve gotten disapproving looks from parents, siblings, friends, and roommates.
“It’s not even Thanksgiving yet!” “Halloween literally just happened.” “It’s not even cold yet.” You don’t need that kind of negativity in your life.
7. You can’t wait to snuggle up next to a fireplace, real or fake.
It’s like one of the scenes from a Currier and Ives painting. A blazing fire with a comfy blanket and a warm drink. Sign me up!
8. You still maintain that you are never too old for a photo with Santa.
You will unabashedly wait in line at the mall to get said photo, drag your friends along, and possibly force them to wear coordinating outfits. It’s perfect for your Christmas card!
9. You’re itching to dig out your “ugly” holiday sweaters.
Although you feel offended when people actually call them ugly, they are festive and cozy and don’t you dare disrespect them.
10. You’ve been pouring over this year’s "ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas" movie lineup.
The lineup just came out last week, yet you’ve already memorized when your favorites are on and are already planning viewing parties in your common room.
11. You justify already celebrating because Thanksgiving just pales in comparison.
Look, Thanksgiving, it’s not that we don’t love you, we do! But there is just something so magical about Christmas time that holds that special place in our hearts.
12. You get overly excited when you see Christmas lights being put up.
When you send your friends texts in all caps or post a picture on Twitter or Instagram when lights are put up at school.
13. You’re already in the festive spirit, and you just can’t help it!
What’s so wrong about having a little bit of spirit in November? No one’s being hurt by it, so just let it be.
Now go and have yourself a very merry Holiday season, no matter what the haters may say. Shine on, you crazy snowflake.