How Do You Write?

How Do You Write?

When inspiration doesn't strike, it's okay. I promise.

5
How Do You Write?
CC0

It's a simple question, right?

How do you write?

The answer, though, isn't so simple.

Writing isn't something you should just run head first into. Writing isn't something you just decide you're going to do on a whim because you need something new to do. Writing is everyone's own process of getting out what they want to get out.

Sometimes, it's hard to get out exactly what you want to say. Sometimes I stare at a blank document or page in a journal and I have no clue where to even start. Sometimes the emptiness of what you're looking at sparks some inspiration on the emptiness in the heart after a breakup or the blankness inspires you to write about a fresh start. Whatever it may be, it inspires you to write.

Or maybe it does't inspire you to write, and you just sit there in silence until you realize that this isn't the right time to write. You don't want to make up some cliche open letter or a mimic of a famous writer, so you exit the document or close the journal and you end up writing absolutely nothing.

It happens. And that's okay.

But when that inspiration hits, man does it hit hard.

Inspiration can come right away, like I've said before; however, it can also come in the middle of the night when you're tossing and turning and can't seem to fall asleep. So you sit up and realize that you have a lot on your mind that you need to get out. Sometimes you cry it all out or text your best friend, but what happens when it's not that simple? You write.

You write when you have a lot on your mind. You write when you have external problems that are raining hard on you. You write when you're happy as can be. You write when you fall in love and when your heart is broken. You write to let out an emotion or idea that you feel necessary for the world to know. But you can only write when you feel moved to write.

Today you could be busy and you don't have the time to sit down and write, but it shouldn't be forced...ever. Writing flows from you like a stream of fresh water, but only when it absolutely needs to be released.

So, do not be discouraged if you can't think of anything to write about as you stare blankly at your screen or your paper; be patient and wait for that inspiration to present itself, because you never know what will come out of it.

Your writing is important and will always be beautiful.