College Life Has Changed Me For The Better

High school held me back.

1173
Marlee Nickow

Imagine that you are a student who goes to one of the best high schools in the nation. Stress levels are high. Students are competitive, so competitive to the point where juniors in high school would fight for the best ACT tutors. And guess what? There were nine students in my graduating class that scored perfectly, so I guess the chasing payed off for them. I, along with many of my friends and peers, were brainwashed into thinking that any grade less than an ‘A’ was insufficient. Day in and day out, I would worry about how my hand would cramp up and time would slip away when I went to write that in-class essay.

If I was struggling with a concept in math class, there was barely any time to get the proper help because classes just moved too fast. Right when I stepped foot inside that high school for the first time my freshman year, I knew that the four years to come would be a constant battle with other students. The prize? Going to a school that was “good enough”. Let me know what “good enough” means, because teachers would explain what a robust college was, but I never quite grasped the concept. Ivy league? Far away from home? Somewhere with 30,000+ students? Who knows because I still am not quite sure to this day.

As a student at this high school, I was constantly under mass amounts of stress that, at times, would become too much to handle. I’m sorry, but if students are freaking out over an APUSH exam that really won’t mean much in the future, there is an issue. Grades meant everything to me; if I were to study my hardest and receive a ‘B’, there were some tears, which is embarrassing to admit. What a waste of energy.

I have learned many things during my first semester of college. I think the most important thing I have learned is that grades, while important, do not determine your future. Doing well in school will always be a priority of mine, that is just how I roll, but the difference now is that I do not let one not-so-great paper grade bring me to tears.

The college life is all about balance. You have your school work, eating healthy, working out, a social life, and extracurricular activities. This may sound like the high school life but trust me when I say it is much harder to balance this all while you are trying to adult yourself.

Do not walk by yourself at night but spend hours at the library trying to finish all of your assignments. During rush: run from a house in Urbana to one in Champaign in under ten minutes. See? Difficult.

Being a college student is a whole new ball game, but it is one that I would never change for the world. I have never been so happy at one place, even though sometimes the pressures still do get to me. High school provided me with a safe bubble that I floated in all throughout my time there, and college popped that bubble on day one. Everything that I knew and that was comfortable was basically taken away, and I was placed into the rural corn fields of southern Illinois. I do not kid when I say that there is a literal mini corn plot on campus. My high school had a manmade pond in the front with a statue that probably costs too much money. The vibe is different, but in the absolute best way possible.

I always thought that having to take care of myself with no parents around to help would be so difficult. I was convinced that I would be on the phone with my mom and dad every other second crying about how I missed home. All false. College is the best thing that could have ever happened. I found my people, and most will be my best friends for the rest of my life. I am taking classes that actually interest me.

You control how you budget your time, which is such a liberating feeling. No more going to school for seven hours every day, just a couple classes and then a few hours at the library. Okay let’s be real, though, it could be like five hours at the library, but it’s so fine because you can get endless amounts of coffee and tea if you need.

Anxiety and stressors are still prevalent in the college life, but in a different way. Not anymore will I cry over one test or paper that I didn’t do so hot on. Now, it is more of a “okay, next time I should study a bit harder” or “I need to go to office hours this week”. We are thinking logically here and that is the best way to go about school work and everything else that college has to offer.

There is no point in putting endless pressure upon yourself because guess what? I can tell that the four years will fly by, so we all need to make the most of them. Go out instead of studying one night and know when you should stay in and study instead of going out. Never again will all your best friends be in one place at the same time. Take advantage!

College life has changed me for the better. Not being in the bubble of my high school has never felt so good, and I would never choose to go back to that way of living. I have never had such a strong support system, and I would have never found that if it was not for the transition from high school to college. The time here is precious, so live it up now.

You may not think of Champaign as the most hoppin’ and fun town, but it is a town that has already brought me so many great things, and for that I am grateful.