I Found Myself When I Went To College

I Found Myself When I Went To College

If you don't experience change in college, did you really go to college?

19
I Found Myself When I Went To College
Martha Donnelly's Photo

Going into college I had no idea how much my life would change. I guess I just figured that when I got home in the summer everything would be the same way it was when I left. But, boy was I wrong. College changes people there is really no other way to put it. I entered my freshman year as a naive child and came out of my first year as a young woman who sort of knows what she wants to do with her life.

With the adjustment of college, many things change in your life. For me, I really found myself. I became aware of what I wanted in my own life. I wanted to go after my dreams of writing a book. I became aware that I didn't need to change who I was to please others. I was perfectly fine being myself. The brunette haired girl that laughs too much at her own jokes. I became aware that I was my own person and there is no changing who I actually am as a person. I am a Taylor Swift loving college student who loves to write. This past year has been full of self-improvements. And that is really what college is all about.

A year away at college can really make your friend circle change. It becomes very clear whether you want to believe it or not who your friends are. Communication is always key but especially once you leave home and graduate high school. Losing contact with your friends is honestly all about communicating. The minute you stop regularly checking in one someone you start to lose the relationship you once had. This in no way is me attacking the people I used to once be friends with. It is just me stating what I have experienced. I do miss talking to the people I talked to last year. I miss all the laughs and memories I once shared. Only time will tell how your life is going to turn out. I hate change but sometimes it is the change that makes you the person you are supposed to be. So embrace the change because maybe it is how your life is supposed to be. Maybe you are supposed to chnage to find yourself.

I have learned so much about myself within the past year and especially the past few months. Life is too short to worry about the people that aren't worrying about you. Go live your life the way you want to and if people follow you that's fabulous, but if not that is okay too. You are living your own life, try not to live someone else's too.