How Alpha Sigma Tau Changed My Life and My College Career

From The Minute I Received My Bid I Knew I Was "Home"

585
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/25/6365250312153255581214332698_ast%20picture.JPG

To any girl who has experienced the recruitment and rush process, you know that it is not easy.

Nobody likes waking up at the crack of dawn only to stand on their feet until sundown for an entire week. Through these what seem to be never-ending mornings and nights, you start figuring out which sorority is just right for you. After a week of getting familiarized with what each sorority is about, the time comes when you have to make the decision. You contemplate and ask yourself, “do I connect with this sorority more than the other?”

You have to think, "what did I like about this sorority and these girls versus this one?" While it was difficult cutting my list down to my two favorites sororities by preference night, I knew right when I opened my envelope on Bid Day that Alpha Sigma Tau would be my forever home.

It wasn’t until my second semester of my freshman year at West Chester that I realized I wanted to be something bigger than a number on a piece of paper. I wanted to stand out and be apart of an organization that allowed me to meet new people, conquer new opportunities, and really find the sorority where I belonged.

I came to this realization at the beginning of my second semester last year. The style I had acquired and how I went about my everyday life just wasn’t cutting it. In high school, I was very social. I found my place fairly easily and developed everlasting friendships.

I was comfortable living in such a small environment. I knew everyone and did not feel at all inferior to my fellow classmates. So of course, I thought I’d try something different going into college. I would choose a decent sized university and thrive.

However, my predetermined assumptions about my first year were not what I had anticipated. The emptiness and feeling of desperation to find my place starting taking a toll on my moods and performance in my classes. I no longer had an ounce of motivation to try and get myself out there and start becoming more acclimated to the school. In fact, I did quite the opposite.

For dinner and lunch, when I should have asked my roommates to tag along, I would go alone and buy something to bring back to my room instead. When I could have been going out on the weekends and getting a feel for the social scene, I instead would go home where I was most comfortable.

I had always heard that college was supposed to be the best four years of your life, but that wasn't the case for me, and I wasn't going to let it be. I became determined to make a difference. I finally decided to rush a sorority.

From the minute I received my bid on September 10th, I knew that becoming apart of something so amazing would completely shift my feelings about West Chester. I was accepted and welcomed into AST with open arms, hearts, and while a bit overwhelming, PLENTY of Instagram requests and Facebook posts.

What I loved most about joining AST was that everyone was given a chance. I was welcomed into a super cool and genuine group of girls that I not only wanted to get to know better but who wanted to get to know me too. Alpha Sigma Tau’s motive is to be Active, Self-Reliant, and Trustworthy, and within the first week of being welcomed into my new home, I realized that every single AST sister holds true to these values.

Going after this opportunity with an open mind and positive attitude is what allowed me to step outside of my comfort zone and make my envisions of college become reality.

As a member of Alpha Sigma Tau, I am forever grateful for my best friends and sisters that have so easily made me realize that college is in fact the best four years of your life.