How Acting Like A Dog Can Make Me A Better Person

Following in my dog's paw prints.

47
FanPop

Any animal lovers know dogs are basically humans -- just the cuter, fluffier, and improved version. They’re kind, loyal, smart, affectionate, understanding, playful, curious…The list just goes on, and on! Every good quality there is, dogs have. I’m often envious of my dogs, because of their pampered life style and 'Hakuna Matata' attitude. Wondering why my life can’t be more like my dogs. Then it hit me, why couldn’t it? Maybe I can’t grow a tail, and live off 'Scooby Snacks', but I could certainly have a more positive outlook on life, and learn to appreciate the little things. So, out all the amazing things dogs are, here are the top three, little doggy ways that would make a big difference in my life.

Be inexplicably happy.

The reason I love dogs so much is because they don’t need a reason to be happy. They just are. The first time I met my dog, Joy, she ran up to me, tail wagging. She didn’t know who I was, or my intentions. All she knew is that she wanted to share her love with someone. The first thing she does in the morning after spending the night cuddling with me, before even yawning, is try to lick my nose. I want to live my life like that. I want to wake up happy, for no reason other than I was lucky enough to wake up. So often, I wait for something good to happen to me in order for it to be a 'good day'. Maybe I got a gift, saw an old friend, or an item I wanted was half off and that’s what takes it from being an ordinary day into a good day. News flash -- every day is a good day, because it is a privilege to live! I did nothing to deserve another day. There was no action I could take to guarantee I’d be here today, or tomorrow. It’s simply luck, a blessing, and it’s up to me to take advantage, and remember no day is ordinary unless I let it be. It’s all about perspective.

Show my gratitude.

Speaking of making the most of everything, to many people happiness is in direct correlation with what you have. Oprah once said, “Be thankful for what you have, you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never have enough." Therefore, you cannot accomplish being happy without being grateful. Dogs have mastered this. They are the easiest creatures on the planet to shop for. The best gift you can give them is leftovers that are about to expire. A good pat on the head? Woah. The wind in their face on a car ride? There’s no better feeling! An old shoe? Yum. Dogs ask for nothing except affection. So, everything else is just amazing extras! In return, they give their all. It’s about more than stopping to smell the roses, and appreciating the bare minimum. It’s not enough just to be thankful, but to show my thanks --to give my all. It’s so easy to take, and take, and expect a muttered thank you to suffice, but a part of being grateful is not taking anyone for granted. Good things, and people, come to me so often in life that sometimes I don’t even acknowledge them. Yet, I get upset when they stop coming. I know I’m not entitled to the good life I have, so I look to my dogs to remind myself to give back ten times more than I take. It won’t be easy, or quick, but if dogs are born with the instinct to give, then surely I can learn it.

Forgive again, again, and again...and one more time after that.

Forgiveness is something I struggle with the most. Letting go of grudges is nearly impossible. Even if I'm civil, I still remember that time when you stole one of my fries March 2012 at 2:38 p.m. My dogs however, have forgiven me millions of times. I know my dogs spend 80 percent of their day just waiting for me to get home. Yet, sometimes I still snap at them for no reason if I'm having a bad day. Five minutes later, they're ready to start cuddling again. Sometimes, I forget to put water in their bowl, or to take them on walks, but they don't care -- because they trust me enough to know I'll get it right next time. There will always be a next time with dogs, and I want there to always be a next time with me. I'm not encouraging people to stay in toxic relationships, or to let themselves be a doormat, but to let go of the petty things. If my dog can forgive me after I've neutered him (that one did take a few days), and if I can forgive him for chewing up my shoes (and as a girl it does not get more personal than shoes), then surely I can get over small betrayals like money, boys, or someone cutting me off. I cannot, and will not, let those things get to me. I have to have faith that people will change, get better, and do better; Just like my dogs have faith in me. Also, as a Christian, I know that if Jesus died for my forgiveness, I can handle swallowing some of my pride.

This is dedicated to all the dogs I’ve had the pleasure of growing up with. I gave them a forever home, and in exchange they’ve given me their all (Scamp (not shown), Star, Brownie, Peaches, Dolly, Mae Flower, Joy).

"If I could be half the person my dog is, I'd be twice the human I am." - Charles Yu