5 Household Objects To Help Reduce Anxiety

These five household items will help reduce anxiety and panic attacks.

869
Unsplash

In my quest to find some relief from my general anxiety, I started an online search to see if I could find helpful things (objects) for people with anxiety. However, to my amazement, I found nothing. On a general YouTube and Google search, I found things like, "how to be proactive about your anxiety," "how to know if you're dating someone with anxiety," and so on. I was seeking objects to help reduce my anxiety. So I searched "satisfying objects for anxiety." Then I found 1,000+ YouTube videos on ASMR, or people playing with "slime" or kinetic sand. Here is a list of things I try to keep with me because of my anxiety.

1. Tape-

As a person with Trichotillomania (a hair pulling disorder), pipe cleaners have become a life saver! Focusing on my anxiety usually leads to me "playing" or plucking out my eyebrows, one hair at a time. However, playing with a pipe cleaner instead has saved my eyebrows. Also, even when I am having a panic attack, having something to fiddle with is comforting.

3. A Good Pen AND Pencil-

Thankfully being in school I almost always have a pen or pencil with me. I try and write down adjectives when I am having a panic attack. Using my favorite pen or pencil I will write down these emotions in my finest cursive. This helps me express how I am feeling in written form. It also helps me accept and see my emotions on paper. They are written and I never hold back. Then, I shred the paper by hand. This gives me the feeling that I am in control. I am in control of my emotions and of how I would like to feel. While I know some people need extra help for their anxiety, like myself, we have to find strength to become in control.

4. Rubber Bands or a Hair Tie-

Remember in middle school, that one kid who could twirl a pen around his fingers and do all those cool tricks with a rubber band? Truth be told, he or she was probably inadvertently de-stressing. Play around with a hair tie or rubber band to redirect your energy. This will help prevent further anxieties and refocus your thoughts.

5. A Hand Towel-

Yes, I know this sounds like a weird one, but trust me, it works.When I have a panic attack I am really hard on myself. So, instead of beating myself up mentally, I take it out on the towel! I will knot the towel and take time to undo it or twist the towel as if I were wringing it out. Sometimes I scrunch the towel up as if it were a stress ball. Doing this helps me channel my energy in a non-destructive way, and it helps prevent self harm.

Basically, find things that are everyday objects and never be afraid to throw them in your purse or car to help with your anxiety!