8 Best Hours Of THON Every Alumni Should Tune Into

8 Best Hours Of THON Every Alumni Should Tune Into The Live Stream For

Whether you're abroad like me, or a Penn State alum, you don't have to miss out on the experience.

43

The Penn State IFC Dance Marathon, or THON, is the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, committed to ending childhood cancer. Every year, thousands of people come together in the Bryce Jordan Center to participate in the 46 hour no sitting, no sleeping fundraiser. While fundraising happens all year long, THON weekend is the most exciting time of the year because you get to see all of your hard work and dedication pay off. You get to meet the Four Diamonds families, listen to stories of strength and courage, and find out the total amount you raised. The total numbers go far beyond anything you could imagine - they signify hope.

For many, these 46 hours are indescribable. These hours are what make people proud to be Penn Staters. However, four years of college, just four THON's, does not sound like nearly enough. If you're abroad, have already graduated, are sick, or simply have to experience THON from miles away, you may be looking to tune into the live stream. With that being said, here are 8 of the best hours to look out for:

1. Dancers Stand

There's nothing more incredible than watching the dancers officially begin their weekend. And yes, you must stand no matter where you are, whether you're a dancer on the floor or a spectator in the stands.

2. The Line Dance

The line dance is a fun way that the THON directors get everyone in the BJC to stretch. It's roughly 5 minutes of stretching, dancing, and singing along to a medley of songs. The line dance includes top hits from the past year as well as current events in pop culture and the news.

3. The Talent Show

The talent show is an amazing opportunity for Four Diamonds children to be recognized for their skills in front of the large crowd.

4. The Fashion Show

The fashion show is a chance for Four Diamonds children to get up on stage in the Bryce Jordan Center and rock their favorite PSU themed outfits in front of the crowd. There's nothing like having a few thousand best friends there to support you!

5. Hair Donations

Every year at THON, people volunteer to have their hair cut and donated. This is all done on stage.

6. The Pep Rally and Athlete Hour

The pep rally might be the most talked about hour. I mean, you know how much Penn State loves its sports. The pep rally is amazing in that it allows Four Diamonds children to interact with the athletes. The pep rally is essentially when Penn State's teams go on stage and perform funny talents and dance routines.

7. Family Hour

The final four hours of THON weekend are emotionally taxing, but they're something that everyone should experience. These hours are full of family stories, recognitions, and tributes to honor those who have passed.

8. The Total Reveal

After the 46 hours, the dancers are allowed to sit and the total amount is raised. These numbers help give families financial support and the means to get more emotional support as well.