15 Signs You're a Hot-Mess Student

Balancing school with other aspects of life can be challenging, whether you are dorming or living at home. Some people are great organizers, who handle school pressures well, manage to get eight hours of sleep, maintain a healthy social life, and maybe even play a sport. I mean these individuals really have it together ...and then there’s the rest of us.

You know you’re a hot-mess student when:

1) You rejoice about extended deadlines

You breathe a sigh of relief when the professor announces that the midterm paper is now due next week instead of tomorrow. Unlike your peers who were about done, you had barely even started, so that gives you at least another week to procrastinate some more! Perfect!

2) You ask people for their notes, even though you were in class

Of course, you were present that day, but your notes are not very detailed. Maybe you dozed off in class and now you cannot read your own writing, or maybe you were daydreaming about lunch. The possibilities are endless, but as you glance over the study guide, you realize you are lacking important test information.

3) You beg your professor to move the test date

There’s always that one person who pressure the professor to push the test back to a later date. You are that person. Your explanation, which always seems to work, is that every other professor is also giving a test that same day.

4) You have notes from other classes in the wrong binder

You constantly mix up your binders/folders and bring the wrong ones to the wrong class. Sometimes one binder is out of paper and you do not bother to refill it. Studying for tests can be frustrating because of this. Where are your Bio notes from 2/23??? Probably in your Music Appreciation folder.

5) You are always out of breath

You are always in a rush because procrastination equals late nights equals no sleep equals late start to your morning. You dress with one hand while you brush your teeth with the other. You cannot afford one more absence or tardy, and now you must awkwardly sprint-walk to class.

6) You are constantly paying fines

Since you are usually late, there is never any parking left …and that visitor spot is looking awfully tempting. You know parking closer will save you five minutes of your walk to class, so you take the chance. Who knows, maybe it will be your lucky day and campus security won’t catch you. LOL. (They will always catch you.)

7) You contemplate skipping class daily

Instead of waking up to Folgers in your cup, you wake up every day to thoughts of skipping class. Of course, you have already used up all two of your allowed absences, and you must go before your grade plummets three letter grades.

8) You keep an ample supply of energy drinks

Big assignments you have procrastinated long and hard on always require nights of hard core trap music and monster drinks to keep you awake. You are always prepared.

9) You never fail to catch some zzz’s in class

Why is there even an 8:00 class option in college??? Since you left high school, you have not been able to cope with this lifestyle, and there is not enough sleep in the world to keep you from dozing off.

10) You never have advice on homework

You dread the moment your classmate asks you for advice on homework. Either you are clueless, weren’t paying enough attention in class, you are stuck yourself, or you haven’t started the assignment yet. Either way, you are no help.

11) Your grade might suffer purely due to attendance

This student is never in class. You take advantage of absent days and of your professor’s compassion, especially if you accidentally miss a test. On some days, you take precautions to have a friend sign your name on the attendance sheet, but you are still in danger of failing due to attendance alone.

12) You are ecstatic about cancellations

WHAT?!!!! Class is canceled???! Awesome! Now you can catch up on your Netflix series and further delay your responsibilities!

13) You repeat clothes based on your schedule

The sniff test is your friend. The same jeans you wore yesterday to your MWF class is the same pair you will wear tomorrow to your TTh class and vice versa. On really rough weeks, you wear sweatpants and a hoodie religiously because only God can judge you.

14) You bring whole meals to class

You are that person that brings everything short of a frying pan and some cooking oil to class with you. You never have time to eat before class so bowls of cereals, your whole lunch from Chick-fil-A, and random beverages are normal class etiquette for you. The entire class resents you for making them hungry all the time.

15) Holidays can’t come quickly enough

Since the second week of the semester, you’ve been anticipating Spring Break. Even if you have zero plans, holidays are your absolute favorite because you get school days off. You cannot wait to be rid of time constraints, annoying school emails and overwhelming responsibilities. Finally, some time to yourself!