Please Don't Leave Your Dog Or Child In A Hot Car

It's not worth their lives.

101
Peta

Summer is here and the weather is getting much warmer. Remember to care for your dog this summer by making sure your dog isn't exposed to too much heat.

Too much heat can cause brain damage to animals or even heatstroke. Your pet could die in as little as 15 minutes - so no quick shopping trip is worth your dog's life.

Here are some stats:

In the summer, a car is usually 20 degrees warmer than the temperature outside and it only takes 10 minutes for it to reach that temperature.

Also, be aware of the temperature when you are walking your dog.

Air Temperature = 77 degrees, Asphalt Temperature = 125 degrees

Air Temperature = 86 degrees, Asphalt Temperature = 135 degrees

Air Temperature = 87 degrees, Asphalt Temperature = 143 degrees

Remember, if you can't comfortably lay your hand on the ground for five seconds, it is TOO HOT TO WALK YOUR DOG!

Note: this does not only apply to animals. Each year, about 37 babies and toddlers die as a result of being left in a hot car alone. Don't risk your child's life by leaving them trapped in their car seat as the car's temperature increases.

Here's what to do if you find a dog or child in a hot car alone:

1. Call the police. If that fails, try calling your local animal control.

2. If those authorities are not responding or are unable to arrive sooner than later, take the necessary steps in order get the dog or child out of the car.

Arizona, California, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, North Carolina, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, and West Virginia all have laws stating that it is illegal to leave your animal or child in an unattended vehicle to where its health is endangered.

Be responsible this summer.