What It’s Really Like To Work In A Hospital

Everyone's job is hard but hospital jobs are just a little worse.

9
unsplash.com

One of the biggest things that drew me to work at the hospital in the first place was the fact that I wanted to help people. A pretty basic reason to start working in a hospital setting I would say. After spending months there you realize that no matter if you are a nurse or a receptionist the things you see can be extremely terrifying and saddening.

Let me tell you that as someone who worked delivering food to patients I had my fair share of uncomfortable and heartbreaking moments. We will start with one of the weirdest situations you are put in while working in a hospital is when patients hit on you. You would think that being in a bed and feeling extremely ill would be enough to stop you from picking up a boo, but apparently not. In the moment it could potentially be extremely uncomfortable but now it seems quite comical.

Hospital setting can be mentally draining because people who work at hospitals have this ongoing notion that there jobs are important in order for patients to fully recover and go home. So even if you want to stop you can’t. You have to keep moving, I have seen it countless of times where nurses are worn down after that 12 hour shift. Only to think of what they did and what awaits them the next day makes me tired. Even with all of that they keep pushing because their jobs are more important than their own well being. It’s not only the nursing staff that pushes themselves it is everyone that works there. I have seen plenty of employees breakdown because they are completely overwhelmed.

It is hard to work for a hospital. If you are thinking about doing anything medical I would try to get into the hospitals first. See what the environment is like, experience it for yourself before you decide. It completely changed my career path after I started working at a hospital. I realized that this selfless environment where all you do is give give give is not the ideal place for me to be physically and mentally healthy. Of course this will not be the same for everyone, but in my case it helped me realize I was on the wrong career path.