Hooked by the title..

Hooked by the title..

..and cover photo. Unexpected read.

10
Hooked by the title..

As I was scrolling through TikTok, Instagram and Facebook as I usually do during my typical day.. being a stay at home mom I probably use my phone more than I'd like to admit. I see a new book that just released, from a Nickelodeon star that I remember from my youth (10+ years ago, which is insane when I think about it). IM GLAD MY MOM DIED. "Insane title of a book", I really think to myself while I think of my own mother who is my absolute best friend and very much alive (I thank God everyday). I ignore it because I don't really have time to read a book because i'm insanely busy, as you can tell with all my apps open on my phone as this exact moment. Just a few days ago, I remember talking to my best friend, Peaches about how I haven't read many books this year and it was actually sad to think about. Anyways, I go about my day back on TikTok when I see several interviews with her in them, talking about her new book. NOT a coincidence, since they seem to know exactly what you're thinking. I watch them and hear her say "I think I earned that title", then after I see the book cover.. which is her holding a pink urn. Ballsy, if you ask me.

Finally, I decide to read it.

I finish it a lot faster than I thought I would. Her memoir included all her emotional, physical and mental abuse that she'd endured all her life. It included what I'd take as her most private moments in her life, as well as her most vulnerable. It's a lot to take in but it's written in a comedic sort of way. From her being two years old to about the age thirty, she includes battling eating disorders, her mother, the creepy "creator", ex-boyfriends, who I wish were better for her. It seems this book has many disappointments for her, but one thing I enjoyed reading was that Miranda was actually a good friend to her. Watching iCarly, I always wondered whether it was a real friendship or a television friendship with lots of animosity in real life. I've seen many TikTok videos of people claiming she "called" Miranda and Ariana out but I can tell those are close-minded people. Simply sharing her perspective on the life that she had including others who were in it at the time doesn't necessarily mean that everything in this book was a slap in the face to either people. it was written in the context of how she felt at that age and time. As I'm reading, I begin to think of when I'd see her on my favorite show. Remembering that I'd wish I could be talented so I'd become famous and get paid more than adults who are out here just trying to get by.

Ultimately, I'm just glad I got to enjoy my childhood in this small town that I've grown in, being a nobody. I'd definitely love to talk about the book more but I also wouldn't plan on ruining it for all of you who actually plan to read it yourselves. It's a great read and I recommend. ALSO KUDOS TO YOU J.MCCURDY. YA DID THE DAMN THING.

P.s I missed you on the reboot but you're right, mental health is more important!