Honoring Those Officers Who Have Fallen

Honoring Those Officers Who Have Fallen

Honoring all police officers that have been killed in 2016.

26
Honoring Those Officers Who Have Fallen

Between Jan. 1 and Dec. 1, 132 police officers died in the line of duty or from injuries obtained in the line of duty. In 2013, the number of downed officers was 124, it has steadily increased each year since. Two thousand and sixteen, can be remembered for many as the year police officers were ambushed and attacked, on the streets and courtrooms, seemingly every couple of weeks. As someone hoping to join the law enforcement community in the near future, this upsets me.

The country has to change; we have to support officers instead of questioning everything they do. As more people disrespect law enforcement officers across the country, we have to stand united to show officers that we are here for them. How can we expect officers to be proactive on the streets when statistics show that an officer dies every couple of days in the line of duty? The communities in this patriotic country need to step up and show officers we have their backs. I personally wear a simple thin blue line wristband every day and fly a Thin Blue Line American Flag in my dorm window. I understand many don’t want to do that much or don't want to spend money to show their support. Instead just smile and wave at an officer when you see them, it might sound futile, but you could just make that officers day.

Unfortunately, this year is starting to come to an end and will go down in history as one of the deadliest for police officers. Let’s all make sure next year is not the same by reducing officer deaths and increase officer support. Make a pledge to yourself to support officers in any way you can, and help to reduce violence and hatred against law enforcement.

Here are the 136 brave men and women that made the ultimate sacrifice as law enforcement officers. This list is courtesy of the Officer Down Memorial Page, I strongly suggest those reading check it out and consider donating to their cause. https://www.odmp.org