Honest Bid Day Expectations

Honest Bid Day Expectations

Is bid day really the best day?

196
Personal Image
Allie Slagter

If you know anyone in a sorority, like myself, you've probably heard them say, or seen an Instagram caption, "bid day, best day." However, as a new member is bid day really all it's cracked up to be?

Personally I really trust the recruitment process, but I also don't really want to ever go through recruitment again. I did it and it worked out amazingly for me and gave me some of my closest friends, but it's not an experience I would do again.

While you're rushing it's all leading up to the excitement that is bid day.

I didn't really know what to expect from bid day, but everyone was really hyping it up. By the time bid day was here I was honestly more excited to be done with recruitment than anything else.

As I patiently awaited the envelope telling me which house I was about to become apart of, there was a lot of nerves. Part of me still wasn't convinced I'd even get a bid, and it didn't help that after a couple hour delay I was the last person in my room to receive her envelope.

However, once I made it to the designated room for all my house's new member, the place where we all got our t-shirts before running over to the house, I was elated when I saw someone I knew.

Honestly, if I didn't see a friend there I think this day would have been very different.

Once we arrived at the house I was overwhelmed. There were so many new faces and I only recognized a few from recruitment, but there was still a part of me that felt like it all made sense. Yeah, I know very cheesy, but as the Philly fan in me says "Trust The Process" #TTP.

Anyways there was a lot of good food and music and cute decorations. Our bid day happened to fall on Super Bowl Sunday so I appreciated the fact it was football themed…but unfortunately all the decorations were blue and red, where was the black and green for the Eagles (who ended up winning…just saying).

I finally started to mingle and talk to some other people and felt like maybe this could work. Although, there was still a big part of me that was confused and overwhelmed. I only knew one other person here and the shy side of me wasn't really sure this was a good idea.

Not to mention, I didn't have any clue what to expect from a new member process, or really what type of commitment this house would be. Regardless, I knew there was a big part of me that was excited to find out. And the 100s of Instagram and Facebook request and a parting goodie-bag didn't hurt either.

Now to be fair, I've only experience bid day from the new member side.

The side where you don't know anyone, don't know what to wear and don't know what's happening. Now as an initiated sister I'm actually really excited for bid day. After two-weekend-long recruitment I know it's gonna be the perfect way to celebrate with my sisters. Not to mention as someone who wants to take a little this semester, I can't wait to meet all our new members.

I now know how much work goes into the other side as well. It's given me a different appreciation of the whole process, so it makes sense why ending it with a giant celebration is so special. Also, I have to admit I'm pretty excited for this year's bid day theme, it's going to be amazing.