Hometown Heroes

Hometown Heroes

A Thank You To The One's Who Truly Deserve It

33
Hometown Heroes
Kylie Bradley

Growing up in a close knit community is something that should never be taken for granted.

Whether the actual size of our town is big or small, we all have those people that we leave behind if we head off to pursue new dreams.

We spend much of our lives building up the idea of leaving the places we were raised and making the ones we leave behind proud. We have this idea that by going off and experiencing new adventures and excelling in different aspects of life, we'll find things that we felt we were missing while growing up in "water tower towns."

If you're anything like me, you find a satisfaction in these new discoveries. There's a sense of pride in taking advantage of opportunities, even though watching your town disappear in the rearview mirror may not come easily. An understanding of who you are as an individual brings joy.

We meet new people, learn unexpected things, and pick up on characteristics that aid in who we become as adults. Our views and understanding are widened by considering aspects that we never thought we'd be willing to consider. Our general knowledge when it comes to the world is enlightened.

We leave our towns expecting to meet people who we can look up to and mold ourselves after. Leaving our comfort zone sends us in search of heroes - people we can put up on a pedestal and brag about getting to know. While this is something that we may indeed find, we also discover that finding them isn't something we should stress over - simply because we come to the realization that we grew up with these people our entire lives.

We reflect on the teachers who supported us, the coaches who taught us more than the sport, the family who loved us at our worst, and the community members who would drop anything for "their people." These individuals who at one time seemed so ordinary in our lives become extraordinary through our more experienced view. Theses hometown heroes seem to take on a whole new role as individuals we adore once we have been away from them. We find ourselves bragging about our hometown role models and speeding home for functions just to feel the welcoming presence of those we were essentially raised by.

Our hometown heroes play such an enormous role in our lives and don't expect anything in return, so this one's for them.

Thank you for always opening your arms to welcome us back home.

No matter how long we've been gone, what terms we left on, or what accomplishments and/or failures we have added to our belts within that time, we always come home to smiling faces and loving arms.

Thank you for the support.

Regardless of where we are in our journey, we always come home to the support of our community. With each article "shares" come from people within our community, with each accolade congratulation texts are received, and every time we return we are flooded with hugs and words of encouragement. These are the things that keep us going. Feeling like we are making our community proud is a sentiment that can't be described, doesn't get old, and definitely could never be traded.

Thank you for the acceptance.

No matter where I go, what I accomplish, how badly I mess up, or how much I flourish - I always come home to being treated the same way. This is the kind of comfort that keeps me coming home and continually pushes me to become better. This encouragement from my hometown feeds my desire to make a name for myself so that I can brag about my upbringing and how my community has been a part of who I am today.

Thank you for the lessons, values, and for showing me who I want to be.

Growing up within a community like mine enabled me to learn lessons of selflessness, hard work, and the importance of spreading love. Watching how the members of my community interacted during both good and bad times taught me how to handle my own situations. Growing up in a community full of love enabled me to go out into the world and show others the kind of love that shaped me. I cherish my community in Orangefield, TX. The love, lessons, and support I've been shown from the people of my hometown have empowered me to to grow in ways I never expected. I truly believe the characteristics I have gained throughout my raising have enabled me to set myself apart from others and come out on top in ways I never thought imaginable.

It's so easy to forget what we're blessed with, especially when we are born into it. I am thankful for my journey because it has opened my eyes to just how special my hometown heroes are. The people in my community are what makes it home. They are the reason I come back time and time again, and why I want nothing more than to raise my own family in the same place. They're who I tell my new friends about, and who I long to get back to so that Owe can catch up on each other's lives. They shouldn't go unappreciated. They shouldn't be overlooked. They should always be appreciated.

A hero, in my eyes, is someone you want to model your life after, someone you admire. A hero is selfless, kind, and hardworking. I can't think of people who fit this description any better than the ones I grew up beside. I cherish my "hometown heroes," and they will forever hold this title to me.