What To Do During Winter Break

10 Things To Do When You Go Home For The Holidays

Nothing feels better than in your own home.

52
https://unsplash.com/photos/ZvS2zbMxc3I

Winter break is here, and you almost got a month of it to absorb your hometown before the second-go-round at school. While you're at it I got plenty of things to check off during the break.

1. Take a picture when you see your hometown sign

Tell everyone and their moms that you're back home by taking a picture of when you are entering your hometown. Put it on Snapchat or Instagram, if you're extra, and add your hometown's filter. Let the lines again.

2. Visit your family and friends

Yes, you're obviously spending winter break at your parents' or guardians' place or spending nights at the guest room at your friends' place. But there are family and friends who have long to see you since a couple of your last high school functions. Please, please visit and spend some time with them. With that being said...

3. Make plans to turn it up with your people

When you and your buds are getting into that reunion, make sure you turn it up, better than the summer joints y'all had as high school students. Whether it is a kickback at the crib, or having fun at a local joint, you can't just say 'hi' and 'I miss you.' Do something. And take some pics too, you need it for the gram.

4. Hit up at your local childhood amusement places

Desrean Smith

Go roller/ice skating, win big at your local Chuck-E-Cheese, show your improved bowling skills from college at your local bowling alley. Wherever you had fun at as a child, go to these places before it's too late.

5. Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

It's the holidays, and since you love your hometown so much you need to give back. Volunteer at local soup kitchens, give aways items you don't use anymore, buy items for those who unable to afford them for the season. Do what you can for you community to feel like your younger days of being involved in and out of school.

6. Meet new people

You know this girl from Twitter you are dying to meet since high school? Or you are trying to see this cute guy from a hometown party. Or are you risky and want to meet your future husband/wife/bestfriend from Tinder or Bumble. MEET THEM. Go out to local joints as stated above, or even have an accidental conversation at a random place (for example if you're talking about a good color of top to go with your complexion, ask them). The talk can go deep to the point that you both become friends. A funny conversation starter to let people know how y'all became friends.

7. Go to places in your hometown (there are plenty) that you haven't been before since as a child

You were dying to visit the popular Vietnamese joint as a child. Now you should be able to go to during break instead of eating out twice a week at the same local joint you ate at for years. Or go to the local international market that has been SLEPT on by locals and get you some deals that you can't get at the typical grocery store. Go downtown and take pictures in front of brick buildings and beautiful holiday scenery.

8. But at the same time, keep going to the food, hair, nail, etc. joints you've been to all along

And spoil yourself at your local joints. If you usually just get the pizza at the local pizzeria, then this time get the pizza, wings, salad, cake, and the other works. If you usually get one piece at the local boutique, then ball out on a shopping spree there because you deserve it. If you break just get your trims and root touchups at a hair salon, why not do all the works - the hair treatment, new hair color, a trim, a different style, all of that. You see that energy?

9. Don't forget the local events

Desrean Smith

You hometown better have events planned for the holidays. Go see Christmas lights at a neighborhood or park, attend holiday concerts, shop at sales at stores, see Christmas plays, and more. You behind better not be stuck at the house all break.

10. And if you want to, visit your alma mater

Desrean Smith

Come back to your old schools and talk break your teachers and coaches about how much you've changed since you've graduated. Tell them about college, workforce, the organizations you are involved in, and crazy stories. You can always tell your younger high school buddies about the intimate stuff - the party life, bad experiences with boys, stuck up girls you're around, and crazy roommate stories. And if you have a high school alumni event involving you graduating class, GO!

As they say, there's no place like home for the holidays. So get you a bit of your hometown for the break.