Homecoming Weekend: As Told By A Freshman

What Parents Weekend at Tulane is really like.

18
Elana Israeli

Since the day I committed to Tulane University Class of 2020, I have had Parents' Weekend marked off on my calendar. I could not wait to show my mom around and go to the homecoming with her! Coincidently, Parents Weekend or Homecoming Weekend fell on Halloweekend as well, so all week I was beginning to feel the overwhelmingness that was to come. Once Thursday finally came around, my heart was racing and I could not wait for this crazy weekend. Thursday night was another night at F and Ms but it was full of costumes and LOTS and LOTS of people. Friday was so much fun too! I went to dinner with my Mom at AVO which was super good (I definitely recommend the mascarpone ravioli!) and went to a ton of frats that night. Unsurprisingly, me and my friends ended up at 828, and then called it a night at about 3 a.m. The next day was an early morning, since it was a TAILGATE day. The game was at 3 p.m. so the tailgating had to begin at about noon. Since it was my Mom's first tailgate here, we went straight to the boot and got some Tidal Waves to kick off the day. The Tailgate was packed and the quads were completely filled with Tulane students and their families enjoying each others' company on a beautiful NOLA day. My Mom got to meet all my friends and their families at the tailgate, and we got to spend time with my amazing roommate Sophie and her family! Obviously, being Halloweekend and Parents Weekend I had to plan out a costume with my Mom to wow the crowd for our night out together Saturday night after the game. We went out to the Boot in our Mother-Daughter Batman and Robin costumes and suffice it to say, we definitely were the best duo out there at the Boot Saturday night.

My advice for Parents Weekend:

1. Make restaurant reservations in advance so you don't end up with a super early or super late dinner when you really would rather be going out

2. Set an alarm and actually wake up early

3. Do touristy things because why not (i.e. go to the Audubon Zoo)

4. Take tons of pictures because Family pictures are the cutest

5. Try and make it to the game!!!