Jada Linton Makes University Of Kentucky Homecoming History

Jada Linton is crowned the first African American homecoming queen at the University of Kentucky.

135
Mark Cornelison

Homecoming season is upon us and for the University of Kentucky, this homecoming season marked history. This year, Jada Linton became the first African American to be crowned homecoming queen at the University of Kentucky. I asked Ms. Linton a couple questions about her homecoming experience and what it was like to be a contribution to UK history.

1. Tell us about yourself

"Hello, my name is Jada Linton. I am from Marietta Georgia, and I am a senior Dietetics major and a part of the Coordinated Program here at UK. I am currently the President of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, a member of the Most Excellent Mu Epsilon Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated, a third-year Resident Advisor in Blazer Hall, and a member of the Student Dietetic and Nutrition Association. I love to sing in my free time, watch Netflix and talk to my friends and family on the phone."

2. What are your plans after college?

"After college I plan to become a Registered Dietitian, ultimately owning my own practice to help children make the best nutrition choices!"

3. How did you get on homecoming court?

I was nominated by the National Pan-Hellenic Council.

4. What was the process of preparing for homecoming court?

"I was nominated by the National Pan-Hellenic Council, then I was selected through an application review to move on to the interview portion. After my interview, I was selected to be on the homecoming court with four amazing women: Elizabeth Foster, Blair Johnson, Libby Langlois, and Erika Penrose and 5 amazing men: Gammon Fain, Noah Lewis, Wes Taylor, and Tyler Ward. It was so exciting!"

5. What did your homecoming week consist of?

"Members of the Homecoming Court were required to attend homecoming events such as: Kitty Karnival, Street Fair, Mr. and Ms. Black UK Pageant and the Homecoming Step Show. In addition to these events, the Homecoming Court participated in the ‘Royalty Showcase’ an event to display their talents to the UK Community. I won the Talent Showcase singing the acoustic version of “Roar” by Katy Perry."

6. What was it like being crowned homecoming queen?

"It was an amazing experience. I truly felt honored to be given this title, especially honored to be the first African American Homecoming Queen crowned at the University of Kentucky. I am so blessed that I had the chance to form great relationships with the other members of the Homecoming court and everyone else who was involved!"

7. How does it feel to be apart of UK history and becoming the first African American UK Homecoming Queen?

"It feels great! I can honestly say that I have enjoyed my time here at UK and that I will always remember my senior year as one that will go down in history!"

8. What was going through your head as you were being announced as this year’s homecoming queen?

"I was thinking about how amazing this is, that I was becoming the first African American Homecoming Queen at UK and that this would go down in history!"

9. What is your favorite memory from homecoming week?

"Seeing my family and sorors after I was crowned the 2017 Homecoming Queen!"

Jada Linton pictured with her parents. (Picture by: Mark Cornelison)

Jada Linton pictured with her Delta Sigma Theta sisters. (Picture by: Mark Cornelison)

Jada Linton pictured with the other homecoming court members and Mr. and Ms. Black UK.

Jada Linton pictured with the homecoming king winner, Wes Taylor.