5 Little Home Things You Miss But Don't Realize You Do While At College

If only I could bring all of these parts of home life to college.

357
Hannah Willmore

Although I do miss several aspects of my college life, there were several things I missed while I was away during my first year at Butler University. Now that I have arrived home for the summer, I’ve been able to enjoy some of my favorite things about living at home.

While it is normal to miss home while at college, I honestly never thought that I would miss these things as much as I did. Now that I’m home for the summer, I definitely won’t be taking the following things for granted.

1. Baths

I’m obsessed with baths. I probably take a bath every time I shower while I’m at home. There is something so pleasant about getting in a bath after a long day with a bath bomb or candle and a book or my laptop to watch tv. Unfortunately, I had to get used to community showers my first year at school, but this summer, I will be taking full advantage of my bathtub.

2. My Queen-sized Bed

Once I got used to my large, memory foam and gel mattress at home, I knew switching back to a not-so-great twin in my dorm room would be difficult. Even though the dorm mattress was an extra long, my mattress at home was still much longer and obviously wider. Now that I’m home, I can sprawl on my bed, lay in any direction I want, and get much better sleep.

3. Home Cooked Meals

This was one thing I never knew I would miss as much as I did. I was always blessed to have my mom cook meals at home five times a week, and I really missed the luxury of having a well-balanced meal made exactly the way I liked it. Food in a dining hall can never be as good as my mom’s cooking, and I’m so excited to have a summer full of my favorite home cooked meals.

4. My Dog

Of course I knew I would miss my dog, but until I was away, I didn’t realize just how much time I spent just sitting on the couch with her. Lucy has been in my life for 11 and a half years, and I didn’t realize how strange it would be to not come home to a dog every day. Since I’ve been home, I’ve already been making her lay on the couch with me as much as possible to get in as much time with her as possible.

5. Driving My Car

While some people would rather do anything than drive, I actually love driving my friends around. In the car, I get to listen to music and have more control over my life. Not having a car on campus for my freshman year of college kind of felt like being a freshman in high school before I could drive. Getting to drive my car around town this summer to get food and go to Target has been a luxury I never thought I would miss.