Home Is Where Your Heart Is

Home Is Where Your Heart Is

My heart knows no fear as I prepare to move in with the man I love.

11
Home Is Where Your Heart Is
Google Images

For some, home consists of smooth painted walls and plump furniture, stainless steel appliances and hardwood floors. For me, I’ve found home in your arms. During this long-distance period of our lives, “in your arms” has been hard to come by and required an insane amount of patience and resilience. In each precious moment of reunion, I’ve found that home is not a place, but a feeling. I’d rather be homeless with the one I love than dwell alone in an empty shell that shelters my head but not my heart.

As we transition into the next phase of our relationship, counting down the days instead of the months, we will continue to face our share of challenges. They’ll be new and different, but I hope that through each new set of struggles we will only grow closer to each other, more understanding and compassionate. There will always be something to be thankful for, even when things are a mess, for it will be our mess.

When we burn our first meal trying to learn how to use the oven, it will teach us to adjust to the unexpected. We’ll laugh over the scorched cuisine and order Chinese, maintaining the humor in our relationship.

When we’re short on money, working out a budget and looking for ways to cut back on spending, we can dim the lights and enjoy a glowing candlelit dinner.

When our tortoise-paced internet gives us trouble, I wouldn’t mind unplugging from the world. In its absence, we can break out the board games so I can master the art of beating you at checkers.

Although you may wake me up just a bit too early on my days off with your dresser searching, toilet flushing and cheek kissing, I’ll gladly send you off to work with a freshly made lunch and a smooch for the road.

In the hours you spend away from me, missing me at work while I miss you at school, I will be at peace. From this point on, I will always be able to look forward to coming home to you, and that’s enough for me.

When we discover that our neighbors aren’t as calm and quiet as they claimed, we can turn up our own music, dancing around the apartment to Journey or Sinatra.

When I find bugs lurking in uncomfortable areas, I can call you to my rescue. I’ll need a hero and want no other than you to save me.

When we argue, adjusting to this new lifestyle of ours, it’ll be about things that, upon resolution, help strengthen our relationship through communication and humility. We won’t argue about who’s turn it is to do the dishes or the laundry, because this is a team effort and we are not keeping score.

Nearing the day that our lives will truly begin to merge as they’re meant to, we can soon close this distance and press play again. Despite our squeaky cupboards and limited counter space, we’ll have each other at last. We will live to appreciate the little things, because what truly matters is that we’re home, no matter where we end up, as long as we’re together. We will soon begin to move forward, side by side, passionately learning the true meaning of “home is where your heart is”.