Holiday Purging And Charitable Giving: Seven Legit Charities To Look At This Season

Seven Reputable Charities to look at for holiday giving and purging

45
CHBC Ministries

Knowing that tomorrow would be trash day, and that it only comes once a week, I wanted to make it count. I began to sweep through the house for items to discard. Scanning the house for bathroom trash, finished water bottles, and little forgotten disposables I started to think, “What else?” Mail. So then I went to the junk mail not yet thrown away and papers set aside for shredding.

As liberating as that was, it made me realize there was more to do.

Since I’m in my early 30s, I’ve been called a Generation Xer and more recently a Millennial. I learned the other day that Gen Xers were products of parents who were very busy and disposable items gained popularity. So Generation X likes to throw things away. Gen Yers (Millennials) on the other hand learned about recycling and going green like I did in grade school. I always hated to throw out anything that could be useful. Being a military spouse challenged my attachment to material things. As I look around our third home, in six years of marriage, I now understand the value of letting things go. It sure is hard to face moves or feel settled in your home when you have too much. You really can have too much of a good thing (or too many good things).

I realized the other day that it might be time to look for things to peacefully part with BEFORE Christmas. It is also time to think about giving. I noticed someone shared this graphic the other week; and I thought I’d look into it a little further.

There are lots of organizations that will take your stuff, but a few will make better use of it to improve other people’s lives. Knowing that the things I give up will help someone else is liberating. There are several great options for purposeful giving that will allow you to simplify your life while helping others.

I chose the ones that I could verify with my research.

So here is the list:

1. The Salvation Army
  2. Disabled American Veterans
  3. Make a Wish
  4. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
  5. Ronald McDonald Houses
  6. Pregnancy Care Centers and Options Now
  7. Samaritan's Purse

The Salvation Army is a Christian organization with a rich history that goes back to the 1800s. Today they are helping people with addiction dependency, family tracing, and health; providing social care and emergency response services, and they are involved in international projects. Until I looked at their website, I had no idea how much good they are doing in the world by sharing the love of Christ. They accept monetary donations as well as any sort of clothes or household goods.

Disabled American Veterans honors and supports veterans and their families worldwide. The National Commander takes no income from contributions and only 5% is used on administrative expenses. Be sure you select the correct organization as there are many similarly titled ones that are not accredited charities. They accept monetary donations and old vehicles.

You’ve probably heard about Make a Wish as it is popular among celebrities. The mission of this organization is to grant wishes to very ill children. They may want something material to enjoy in their last days, or to meet someone famous, or even gifts to give to other children. This charity does have a large staff running the operation but they keep the administrative expenses at 9% while the rest goes to the cause. They accept monetary contributions.

The aim of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is to treat the most difficult cases and search for cures. They are working hard to make treatment accessible to ill children, search for means of prevention, and find cures. Only 10% of donations are used for administrative costs and the rest is contributed to the cause. They accept monetary contributions.

The Ronald McDonald House motto is “keeping families with sick children close to each other and the care and resources they need.” Their focus is helping the families of children who are sick with medical expenses and needed comforts. They accept monetary donations as well as soda pop tabs, toys, and food.

Get to know any pregnancy care centers in your area to find out what they are doing for pregnant women and the community. Many offer free ultrasounds, education about women’s options, the provide baby care items to families in need, and other services. Here in South Georgia, Options Now runs a thrift store called “Repeat Boutique” that gives the community access to affordable household goods and clothing while raising money for a ministry to women and babies. You can drop off your donation or schedule a pick up and they accept clothing, appliances, housewares, electronics, toys, games, books, shoes, accessories, and furniture.

Samaritan's Purse is a life changing ministry that specializes in disaster relief and "helping in Jesus Name." Their ministry projects include International Crisis Response, Operation Christmas Child, The Greatest Journey, U.S. Disaster Relief, World Medical Mission, Greta Home and Academy, Children’s Heart Project, Operation Heal Our Patriots, Animals, Agriculture & Livelihoods, Children’s Ministries, Construction Projects, Crisis & Disaster Response, Discipleship, Education & Training, Feeding Programs, Health & Medical Ministries, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene, Women’s Programs, Refugee Crisis in Europe, Nepal Earthquake Response, Human Trafficking Prevention

. While this organization has a larger paid staff than others I looked at, it is for good reason. They have people on the ground working full time in places like Iraq, Haiti, Greece, South America, Africa, and Stateside. They only fell short of accreditation due to the CEO also being on the 18 member board (I'll forgive that one because they really do so much good for Americans and people abroad). There are over a dozen ways to help this organization including sending a shoe box of toys, crayons, coloring books, and toiletries to be delivered to a child in a third world country.

I’ve researched this list but you don’t have to take my word for it. Give.org is a comprehensive resource on all charities where you can find out how much is contributed to the cause, how much is for profit, and whether or not the organization has followed the accountability measures for accreditation. Consider donating items you no longer need to a good organization before or after Christmas and giving a monetary gift of hope. You’ll be glad you did!